986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Is there a wind noise fix how too? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/63714-there-wind-noise-fix-how-too.html)

Adrian Thompson 10-17-2016 04:00 AM

Is there a wind noise fix how too?

I've got a terrible wind whistle on my 986. I mentioned it previously as I didn't notice it until after having the front end repaired and was told the frunk (front trunk) fit is critical. I've messed around with it for a while, screwing in the rubber stops to make sure the hood is under flush with the front bumper, but no joy.

It seems to start around 55 and goes away some time over 75mph. This morning I came it to work at 6:00 when not many people were on the road. I came in at speeds up to 85 and didn't hear it until I was slowing down into the 60's. It doesn't seem to be totally repeatable, but it's driving me nuts.

Is there a step by step how too out there on how to set the hood height, or mirror or whatever it might be as it's driving me nuts.

Thanks all.

ymkmkrz 10-17-2016 04:18 AM

Is there a wind noise fix how too?

Are you sure it is coming from the hood? There are so many things that
Can cause noise on Any vert. Boxster no different. Almost always something with the top tho, unless it is inside or of Course tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer Boy 10-17-2016 06:37 AM

Try putting duct tape on the hood seams to see if that changes it. If it does, then you know that is where the problem is.

You can do the same thing with the tape on other parts of the car until the noise goes away, and then you've found the culprit!

Just be sure you remove the tape in short order, as it can leave a nasty residue that is difficult to remove.

oldskool73 10-17-2016 08:00 AM

If you search for 'whistle' on here you'll find others have had noises from the filler cap area and the release valve in there that sound similar to your issue, may be worth checking that out also.

Adrian Thompson 10-17-2016 09:19 AM

It happens top up or down so I don't think it's top related. Filler cap is interesting though. Off back to searching

Spinnaker 10-18-2016 11:54 PM

Check out this old post.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/48736-front-latch-adjustment.html

nieuwhzn 10-19-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 513342)
Try putting duct tape on the hood seams to see if that changes it. If it does, then you know that is where the problem is.

You can do the same thing with the tape on other parts of the car until the noise goes away, and then you've found the culprit!

Just be sure you remove the tape in short order, as it can leave a nasty residue that is difficult to remove.

Use painters masking tape instead, the blue stuff. Easy to remove, no residue.

jakeru 10-19-2016 09:33 PM

I agree with reviewing the link above - you said you adjusted the rubber stops on the frunk, but you didn't mention anything about trying to adjusting the frunk latch position yet. Try lowering it so the leading edge of the frank sits down a little lower than the bumper relief.

If I recall correctly, you'll need to remove some carpet and/or a plastic trim piece to access the latch bolt heads, and I think they're 10mm. Try adjusting it just 1/8" or so. After adjusting, you'll need to screw the rubber bumpers in/out so the front lid isn't "rattley loose", but also not so tight you need to press down extremely hard to get the frunk lid to latch. (It will take a bit of pressure still to close the frunk lid, though.) Good luck!

AZ986S 10-20-2016 11:54 AM

I think Pedro mentioned that the frunk has to be below the bumper, otherwise there will be wind noises...

Boxtaboy 10-20-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ986S (Post 513787)
I think Pedro mentioned that the frunk has to be below the bumper, otherwise there will be wind noises...

Yes....if you make the trunk sit slightly below the trailing edge of the bumper cover, there will be no noise.