986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Remaps (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/63414-remaps.html)

Ben006 10-03-2016 05:09 PM

Remaps

Hi guys!

I was wondering... Why does nobody offer custom remap in the US, not just for Porsche, but for any brand?

Our only options are overprices pre-designed tunes!

If you look in Europe, there are A LOT of individual tuners that will remap almost any car on a dyno! Even in France we have dozens of companies that will do it, despite remaps being completely illegal...

So, is there a specific reason why, in a country that big on car mods, there is no one to do such an important step???

Look, first page on google and you have 8 different companies: https://www.google.fr/#newwindow=1&q=reprogrammation

Ben.

JFP in PA 10-03-2016 05:12 PM

Simple, in the land of the EPA, those that create custom tunes are responsible for meeting federal emission's standards, which can get very expensive.

Ben006 10-03-2016 05:22 PM

Like tampering with catalytic converters can get you a 10 000$ fine per converter removed ?

That's sad...

rexcramer 10-03-2016 07:22 PM

Ask VW/Audi/Porsche about the legalities of remapping cars in the USA.

dijinn 10-04-2016 01:49 AM

I've often wondered the same thing Ben006. Not sure why custom remaps really aren't offered in the US since almost any other make/model of car out there it is available.

I personally believe that the market simply doesn't support it. Honestly, most Porsche owners like to keep their cars "stock" so, other than a simple Stage1 tune to possibly up the HP by +20, I don't think there is enough interest in it. In the Porsche community swapping out to bigger throttle bodies, injectors, messing with intakes, etc (or "modding" as it's called) is only small percentage of the owner population.

Gelbster 10-04-2016 08:19 AM

I doubt even the "ROW" mod is Smog Legal in California and the new Smog machines may detect the change.Epic Smog Test fail

The Radium King 10-04-2016 01:19 PM

the bosch ecu isn't exactly open source. most if not all third parties that are selling remaps (and there are a few) got their info by reverse engineering the dme and code. hence they keep it very proprietary given all the work they have put in to it. the 7.2 dme has a real dearth of tuners, 7.8 not so bad.

Ben006 10-04-2016 03:04 PM

I'm not talking only Porsche, it's the same with every brand.
In FL there is no pollution test yet, and unless the car is under warranty, nobody can know.

The Radium King 10-04-2016 04:20 PM

i think it gets down to risk tolerance. ultimately, you can't tune part throttle because the car is already running at optimum efficiency (14.7:1 AFR). you could lean-out wot a bit (stock tune runs at what, 12 to 12.5?) to get more power and better fuel efficiency, but at what risk to the engine given the reduced quenching? with the current fuel efficiency regs, if the manufacturers could safely tune for better efficiency they would. you could raise redline to increase peak hp and reduce shifting, but again, at what risk to valvetrain given hydraulic lifters? otherwise, there is some room to play with timing, but my understanding is that there is not much leeway allowed with current bosch oem ecus.

if you want to play with wot afrs, get a wideband and a piggyback and have some fun. i thought about it, but didn't have the nads to run my car the track with a 13:1 afr.

Ben006 10-04-2016 04:30 PM

There is still a lot to extract from modern engines from what I've seen.

And a remap is a must after the engine has been modified to bring everything back to safety and extract all of the HP.

78F350 10-04-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben006 (Post 512073)
I'm not talking only Porsche, it's the same with every brand.
In FL there is no pollution test yet, and unless the car is under warranty, nobody can know.

Sell the box and get a '93 Civic... :eek:
I think the tuners mostly work on Asian cars.
Tuner Directory - Honda-Tech

mikefocke 10-04-2016 04:41 PM

And given a few weeks and lots of expensive tuning and dyno time, it can be done. Tune, test and then run in the real world to see if you still have a street driveable car or if something you did that helped on the power chart is counterproductive. Then iteration number 2 thru n of the cycle till you get it right for that set of mods. Make enough mods to the same engines and enough tests and you begin to get the effects of the various parameters down but, given the investment, you probably aren't going to share much.

The Radium King 10-04-2016 04:57 PM

i've head a lot of that - you need to tune to get the most of all your mods. from what i understand, however, that doesn't make sense to me. the fact is, basically what the ecu does is measure air in and administer a set amount of fuel as a consequence. if you make changes to make more air flow more efficiently, the ecu will still measure the amount of air in and administer the appropriate amount of fuel. hell, raby was increasing 3.2 to 3.6 and using the stock tune. even at wot and running open loop with no o2 sensor to trim the fuel, you still have a maf measuring air.

now, if your maf went south and you were running in limp mode (throttle position) then you might be in trouble - getting more air than the computer thinks.

edc 10-05-2016 01:43 PM

I had a half day on the dyno for a remap on my car. Relatively minor gains after the hardware mods but a tweak to the throttle request map helped and the feel and drive ability is not reflected in a simple before and after dyno chart.

jpl2407 10-05-2016 02:30 PM

Don't vivid racing offer a custom tune for the 986?

WillH 10-05-2016 03:18 PM

We need this for our cars.

TuneECU_Start

Use it for my Superduke.