Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

Pax window not rolling down completely

So I've looked through the threads about the passenger window issues but mines a little different, either from the outside or inside, if you partly pull the handle you can hear the window regulator work and the window goes down, but it's not enough, it only moves a millimeter or so. The only way to close the door and not have it hit the roof is to push the window down by hand and it stops where it should have normally gone down to. And when I roll the window down completely and roll it back up it makes a cracking and disturbing noise. I think there's just crap in the window mechanism but I have no idea, any thoughts?

holtzy822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's a picture of a regulator that was doing that for a while. It finally made a terrible sound and stopped working completely when the cable went off track. New regulator installed and no issues.

Here's the DIY:
Porsche Boxster Window Regulator Replacement / Window Switch Replacement / Window Motor Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Old 09-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I unfortunately know this pain intimately. It is a pretty straight forward DIY. I have done both of mine. The regulators are not cheap. They are just a marginal design. The cables stretch over time and then they climb out of the wheels. I tried the bike cable adjuster fix and it just didn't last. If you do try to DIY, just take your time. Don't rush it.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote