986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Thoughts please on CEL w/ P1130 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/63297-thoughts-please-cel-w-p1130.html)

embryoguy@mac.com 09-24-2016 05:21 PM

Thoughts please on CEL w/ P1130

So I pushed it hard 110-120 highway, came home and the CEL came on. Retightened the gas cap and went to fill it up with gas. Got it coded with P1130 and cleared. Drove home and the CEL has not come back.

Things ok or do I expect it to come back? I purchased a new gas cap just in case...

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

NewArt 09-24-2016 05:55 PM

Start by clearing the code and cleaning the MAF sensor. Are you running a K&N air filter?

embryoguy@mac.com 09-24-2016 07:03 PM

I've done nothing to it. Cant remember last time I changed stock air filter. Prob good time to do so? The CEL not on anymore but I only drove 5 miles after it was cleared.

Ben006 09-24-2016 07:38 PM

It has nothing to do with the gas cap.
P1130 is a lean condition at idle on bank 2.

since it's only on bank 2, it's probably just dirty injectors, try a cleaning product.

embryoguy@mac.com 09-24-2016 07:57 PM

Cleaning product? How do you clean injectors.

I just had my spark plugs and tubes replaced a couple weeks ago. Any coincidence ?

Sorry for my car ignorance....

OK googled it. It seems too complicated for me to do myself.

embryoguy@mac.com 09-24-2016 08:10 PM

Ben, sorry for my ignorance but what is LEAN 2 mean?

I didn't notice any issues with my idle...

thstone 09-24-2016 08:26 PM

P1130 = Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 - Above Limit

A lean condition is when the air/fuel mixture is low on fuel. The MAF senses the amount of air going into the engine and the O2 sensors sense the combustion gases (air/fuel mixture) in the exhaust.

If the O2 sensors detect that the air/fuel mix is off-nominal, then the ECU tries to compensate for this by injecting a little more fuel to bring the mixture back to normal. However the ECU can only adjust a limited amount and the P1130 CEL code says that the ECU has reached the maximum limit for the amount of fuel that it can add and the mixture is still low on fuel.

This can be caused by a faulty MAF (which is providing a faulty air reading) or an air leak (which is allowing additional air into the system) or a faulty injector (which is injecting the incorrect amount of fuel).

This has nothing to do with the gas cap. Best thing to do is clear the code (as you already have) and see if it comes back.

BirdDog 09-24-2016 11:54 PM

I think when Ben006 said to use a cleaning product, he meant that you should try using something like Techron. You pour it in with a full tank of gas and it should slowly clear out the injectors.

There are lots of products that are supposed to do the same thing. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite...

embryoguy@mac.com 09-25-2016 03:45 AM

The stone, thank you so much for a through explanation. Makes a lot of sense.

Bird, thank you for a layman info that makes me happy to hear. :) I think I can pure something into the gas tank :)

Thank you very much everyone for your in depth responses and the education. I will update if it comes back.

Gilles 09-25-2016 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdDog (Post 511193)
I think when Ben006 said to use a cleaning product, he meant that you should try using something like Techron. You pour it in with a full tank of gas and it should slowly clear out the injectors.

Techron has two different size bottles, an I ran into a pack of the 6 large ones at Costco for something like $20, so the entire family fleet got one :p

embryoguy@mac.com 09-25-2016 05:40 AM

great I guess costco here I go lol thanks ! Honestly, I ve never used it in any of my cars haha

embryoguy@mac.com 09-25-2016 06:25 AM

What do you guys recommend, the fuel injector cleaner alone or the complete fuel injector system cleaner by Techron ?

Costco sells 6 bottles for $20!