Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

Exhaust install

Hey guys just recently got word that my exhaust will be coming in tomorrow. I'm doing everything except for the headers and preparing for the install now. It's the Fabspeed spec Boxster exhaust. Definitely going to be loud but I heard something similar and really liked it. I wasn't expecting it for another 2 weeks or so but I'm very excited to get it installed. I'm currently hitting all the bolts with pb blaster pretty good. Hoping all goes well!

I'll probably do it little by little throughout the week and hopefully I can post up a video by the weekend. Meanwhile if you guys have any tips let me know. I'm definitely going to remove the rear bumper to provide myself with more clearance.

Mr Flat Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #2

You are doing it right. Take your time and keep us posted.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

Just installed the Fabspeed Maxflo system on my 01S (2nd cats and muffler, no headers). Very high quality parts and fitment. Hardest part was removing the bolts from the header flanges. Two came off, four snapped. Used Kroil, an air hammer with a pointed chisel and a bit of patience.

Like to hear a video clip when you're done.
Filastein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #4

Well this week is looking pretty busy so I won't get to most of the install until Friday or Saturday. The header flanges worry me but I'm hoping I'll get lucky and not break too many. Almost forgot to order extra hardware and took care of that today. I will definitely post up a nice video when all is said and done!
Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

For now here is a photo of what will be going on the car.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #6

Wow... you just got my interest. The exhaust is suppose to be 19lbs for the whole thing. Can you verify their claim? I was going to order the same exhaust, but I was concerned about the resonators (does not use mufflers). I don't mind loud, but it might be too much for me if it is sounds uncorked. I occasionally drive my autox/track Boxster on the street. I hope the resonators sound nice and cuts down on the drone. Keep us posted.

Last edited by SoloPierre; 05-23-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
SoloPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

Forgot to mention... I read somewhere recently about someone getting the same exhaust and there were some build issues: 1.) one of the mounting ears on the resonators had a bad weld (loose). 2.) The tips were not parallel to each other. You might want to do a mock install on cardboard to make sure the tips are parallel.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

The shipping weight was 20lbs and it definitely feels light. I'm hoping the resonators help a little at least with sound quality but I do expect it to be very loud. Once I get it installed I'll be able to give you a better idea and I'll be sure to test it at multiple speeds and rpms.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:40 AM   #9

My buddy has the same exhaust and I can say that it is really loud though not obnoxiously loud.
fredd5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flat Six View Post
Well this week is looking pretty busy so I won't get to most of the install until Friday or Saturday. The header flanges worry me but I'm hoping I'll get lucky and not break too many. Almost forgot to order extra hardware and took care of that today. I will definitely post up a nice video when all is said and done!
If your flange bolts are similar to mine, the shoulder is splined so that even if the nut spins off, you still have to drive the bolt out. I cleaned up the mounting surfaces with a cookie wheel and used copper anti-seize on the bolts with the idea that if someone comes up with a set of catalytic headers that aren't astronomically priced, I'll retrofit the stock headers. Not interested in fighting a CEL.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #11

I have some punches and knew the studs were splined. Are they hard to punch out? I've heard so many different things the past week or so. I also heard that the top nut is welded to the flange? Anyway my friend has an oxyacetalyne torch so worse case scenario I could probably use that.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #12

I guess I got lucky. I had no issues with the header flange bolts on my '02. My top nut was welded to the flange. My install was really easy except for the crappy alignment of the test pipes and cheap eBay muffler. Had to fab a bracket for the muffler. I wish you luck on your install. Hopefully no surprises or extra work.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #13

Thanks solopierre. Cars do get a bit rusty​ here so it can be hit or miss.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:32 AM   #14

Wouldn't recommend using a hammer and punch to remove them. If they're in there good an air hammer will be much more effective. I had to cut off the welded nut after snapping the bolt. Bonus is it will make it easier to deal with next time.

With any luck all this won't matter as you'll just zip them out.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #15

Well I'm almost done with the removal. I just have that welded nut left. It's turning​ with the bolt but we're working on removing it now. I have to say so far the removal hasn't been too bad. Hopefully it pulls out easy. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #16

Glad to hear you are having the same luck as me - no real issues with the removal. I hope the new spec exhaust aligns up nicely with no issues. Good luck.

Pierre
Old 05-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #17

Well the welded nut was a pain. We used vice grips with a breaker bar to hold it while using another breaker bar on a ratchet. Full system is finally removed. Install of the new exhaust looks pretty straightforward. I do have one question. What did you guys do with the rear O2 sensors? Also how do you unclip them from the tab? Can't seem to figure it out and would rather remove it altogether.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #18

Well I got it installed and bolted everything back up. All I can say is this exhaust sounds amazing! It is very loud. In fact, it is extremely loud! Did I mention it was loud? I like it so far but can't report about droning much at this point. I'm not too worried about that honestly. It has a very deep sound to it and is extremely bass-like. It feel almost like playing the radio really loud but turning everything off but the bass. I'll post up a video when I can but I'm going to relax for now.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #19

Glad to here you got it installed. Congrats. Looking forward to the video and your long term impression. I am on the fence about buying the same Fabspeed exhaust or building a clone of it with mufflers. Got a Mig welder and some half arse skills 😀
Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #20

I wish I had the skills and equipment to try and make one. It would be a fun project!