986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   98 boxster not going into gear (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/62835-98-boxster-not-going-into-gear.html)

Timmyk 08-20-2016 04:37 PM

98 boxster not going into gear

Hello
Seeing if people on here can lead me in a good direction

I have a 98 boxster 2.5 5speed
Will not go into gear at all... car running or stopped.
Checked clutch libe cables seem to be fine. A friend of mine think is is the forks in the transmission.
Has anyone else ever had this issue.
Please help

rick3000 08-20-2016 04:59 PM

Can you put the shifter into the correct gear location (ie - the shifter is fine, but the transmission is not going into gear), or are you unable to get the shifter into the correct place?

A somewhat common issue is for the transmission cable 'retainer' to break, which keeps the transmission from shifting into your chosen gear. I had it happen to me, it's a fairly simple fix, which was described to me as putting the cable back into place and securing it with a pipe clamp.

Deadeye 08-21-2016 04:16 AM

First thing to check is the cable connections at the trans. If the cable outer sheath becomes separated from the clip that hold it to the case you get the symptoms you describe. If that is the problem you can snap the cable back into the clip and secure it with safety wire. Could also be the very end of the inner cable popped off the lever on the trans, but this is less likely.

Timmyk 08-21-2016 08:56 PM

To add what I have done. Once I disconnected the cables at transmission. I checked for correct cable and shifter operation minus the transmission of course. Shifter and cables work perfect when trans is disconnected from them.

Timmyk 08-21-2016 08:57 PM

When connected to trans they are stuck in neutral. The shift rod sticking out of trans. There is only one. Is jammed. Cannot shift it by hand at the trans. Where as normally you can use one hand to shift through the gears at the trans.

paulofto 08-22-2016 05:39 AM

Have you checked your trans oil level or condition?

Gelbster 08-22-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmyk (Post 507414)
When connected to trans they are stuck in neutral. The shift rod sticking out of trans. There is only one. Is jammed. Cannot shift it by hand at the trans. Where as normally you can use one hand to shift through the gears at the trans.

Put the rear up on jack stands. Rotate one wheel back and forth while you wiggle the transmission shifter lever on the side of the transmission. That may free up the mechanism. Are you sure the lever is actually moving the shaft that goes through the trans case?

Timmyk 01-31-2017 07:47 AM

my Mechanic has taken apart the transmission looks like a bent shift rod, does anyone know if you can buy the rods separately does does it come as a kit

Gelbster 01-31-2017 09:10 AM

Try little heat to straighten the bent one ?
How did you bend it?
You need to figure that out before you put a new one in -and bend that one also !
Perhaps some careful inspection of the cables for damage and a little silicone grease?

porsches2944 01-31-2017 10:26 AM

Sorry, I missed the bent rod post