986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Readiness test for Emissions (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/62348-readiness-test-emissions.html)

imari 07-13-2016 03:25 PM

Readiness test for Emissions

Hey guys,
I have a 01 Boxster and had a CEL on so I got the repair done (air pump and then they unclogged some sort of valve or hoses). The CEL light went off but I've been driving the car to get it set to pass the emissions test. I've tried twice so far (after driving over 150 miles) but it's STILL no passing the "readiness" test. Does anyone know how long/far I have to drive it before it's ready to pass emissions?????

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JFP in PA 07-13-2016 05:33 PM

It is not uncommon for your year to go over 200 miles before the I/M Readiness resets.

imari 07-13-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 502947)
It is not uncommon for your year to go over 200 miles before the I/M Readiness resets.

Thanks, I guess I'll keep driving it. I'm at 150+ now. I suppose there is no "short cut"....I don't want to get pulled over for an expired tag while simply trying to pass emissions to get a decal...smh

drew44 07-14-2016 12:26 PM

Do you know what monitors are showing as not ready? If you have an OBDII reader you can plug it in and it will show you what monitors are not ready. I had a problem with my Oxygen sensor monitor and followed this drive cycle and it cleared..GOOD LUCK!

Below we outline the driving pattern you'll need to perform in order to get your Porsche's OBD-II emission monitors to become READY or COMPLETE. Perform the entire drive cycle. Completing only one portion of the drive cycle will not make the particular monitor which you're trying to make READY complete. The entire drive cycle must be performed every time you attempt the set any of the monitors.

Porsche 911 Drive Cycle - OBDII Emission Monitor Reset Procedure

Prior to starting the driving cycle ensure your Porsche's fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Also do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph during any portion of the drive cycle. Take extra caution when perform the Porsche drive cycle on public roadways. if you think you will be unable to safely perform the drive cycle please seek assistance from an experienced Porsche mechanic or smog check repair center.

A. Start your Porsche 911 and let it idle for approximately 2 1/2 minutes. This will allow the ECU to diagnose oxygen sensor aging; meaning the computer will be monitoring the oxygen sensor warm-up period and reaction to rising exhaust temperatures. During this period the ECU is also testing the Secondary Air Injection system.

B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain your speed for 3 1/2 minutes. The ECU will be testing catalytic converter efficiency.

C. Next, accelerate to 40-60 MPH. Once again maintain steady speed, this time for approximately 15 minutes. The EVAP system is now being tested along with adaptation range (2) and the oxygen sensor (switching).

D. Decelerate and come to a complete stop. If equipped with a manual transmission, idle in neutral for 3 minutes. If equipped with an automatic Tiptronic transmission, idle in drive (D) for 3 minutes. Adaptation range (2) is now being tested.

E. Repeat steps B through D. Drive cycle complete.

JayG 07-14-2016 12:43 PM

It is really a PIA and what Drew posted above is a good way to get it all resolved

JFP in PA 07-14-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 503048)
It is really a PIA and what Drew posted above is a good way to get it all resolved

Which does not always work on certain years.

imari 07-15-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew44 (Post 503046)
Do you know what monitors are showing as not ready? If you have an OBDII reader you can plug it in and it will show you what monitors are not ready. I had a problem with my Oxygen sensor monitor and followed this drive cycle and it cleared..GOOD LUCK!

Below we outline the driving pattern you'll need to perform in order to get your Porsche's OBD-II emission monitors to become READY or COMPLETE. Perform the entire drive cycle. Completing only one portion of the drive cycle will not make the particular monitor which you're trying to make READY complete. The entire drive cycle must be performed every time you attempt the set any of the monitors.

Porsche 911 Drive Cycle - OBDII Emission Monitor Reset Procedure

Prior to starting the driving cycle ensure your Porsche's fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Also do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph during any portion of the drive cycle. Take extra caution when perform the Porsche drive cycle on public roadways. if you think you will be unable to safely perform the drive cycle please seek assistance from an experienced Porsche mechanic or smog check repair center.

A. Start your Porsche 911 and let it idle for approximately 2 1/2 minutes. This will allow the ECU to diagnose oxygen sensor aging; meaning the computer will be monitoring the oxygen sensor warm-up period and reaction to rising exhaust temperatures. During this period the ECU is also testing the Secondary Air Injection system.

B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain your speed for 3 1/2 minutes. The ECU will be testing catalytic converter efficiency.

C. Next, accelerate to 40-60 MPH. Once again maintain steady speed, this time for approximately 15 minutes. The EVAP system is now being tested along with adaptation range (2) and the oxygen sensor (switching).

D. Decelerate and come to a complete stop. If equipped with a manual transmission, idle in neutral for 3 minutes. If equipped with an automatic Tiptronic transmission, idle in drive (D) for 3 minutes. Adaptation range (2) is now being tested.

E. Repeat steps B through D. Drive cycle complete.

Thanks Drew, I tried this a couple of times and it's still not working. I'm not sure where to go from here. I kept the RPM under 3000 but during one of the drive cycles I may have gone up to 31mph??? (not sure if that killed the whole process or not). Also, when doing this drive - how is it effected by stops or having to slow down before getting to a long enough strip of road to keep a consistent pace???? (red lights, stop signs, etc) Seems virtually impossible to do these steps consecutively without having to stop or slow down at some point before getting to a hwy. Any advice???

imari 07-15-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 503051)
Which does not always work on certain years.

I've tried and it's not working for mine...:ah:

imari 07-15-2016 07:34 AM

The dealer said they can do a computerized forced readiness for about $160....smh. Is this my only option?? After spending over $3000 to get to this point I feel like "oh well, what's another $200"...smh

BFeller 08-20-2022 08:32 AM

Update to add info:

I just used the drive cycle process to get my 5 speed, 2.5 litre, 98 Boxster ODBC ready. A few weeks ago it tossed a code I related to the SAI. I cleared the code and had drive quite a bit but was still sitting with a not ready for the E and C lights.

From a Cold start I Warmed it up the garage following Part A. Then ‘accidentally on purpose’ shut the engine off. I was running with my code reader attached.

Backed it out and ran Part B. At the end of Part B I stopped at a stop sign.

I then proceeded to follow Part C. After about 5 minutes I got a red light. I accelerated after the light and just touched 4000 rpm. A few minutes later the E light went to the ready state. I came to another light and was able to make a right on the green light and continue my pace. A few minutes later the C light reached the ready state. I went home. Unplugged the Code Reader. Took it the Inspection Station and got it done.