Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Brake Caliper Rebuild Needed

I have a few things I need to figure out with this right front brake caliper.

1. Last year I sheared off the head of a bleeder screw during a brake fluid flush. I just replaced the caliper but now I'd like replace the bleeder screw and get the caliper set up to run again. I was told that extracting the screw is difficult ... something about the assembly and the threads that make it easy to damage. Any truth to that. How about suggestions to get it out safely.

2. After extracting the screw, would you replace with an OEM bleeder valve? I've looked into speed bleeders but no confidence that putting those in will make much difference.

3. Finally, time for a rebuild of the caliper piston seals. Are there kits available? I planning on doing all 4 after the season is done this fall. As you can see from the picture, it's time. Any advice on these as far as a DIY project.

Thanks for the help

P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Hello

For today the Internet recommend you derfo's DIY. Please let me (the Internet) and the 986community know if you are still okay in 90 days.

Saving Brembo

(joking aside its a great diy. Needs skills man so.... do it rrrite)
Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Hello,

Neil did a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3OfzPEqQJc

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Geee these guys all way braver than I am. This leaves me no other choice but to resign from my function as Internet 986 technician. You guys win!

Feeling like I'm the only one who sends his cars to the dealers now (my cars/wife's). When it comes to brake anyway, alignment, stuff like that. Certainly not leaving my local 'everything-proche' indy play in there... but that has something to do with the region I am in I guess :/

I do know how to wash a car just like a real professional however -have the right tools and all
Old 06-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

Garage
As far as getting that broken bleeder stem out, something that works well is the rapid thermal expansion of surrounding material, or as in this case the rapid contraction of the inner piece. Bearing installs such as LN recommend this type of install.

DANGER: use proper safety precautions before using the following and I am not responsible if you do not!

1. Use a good penetrant such as Kroil or PB Blaster and let soak.

2. Get a GOOD extractor.

3. I have access to and love to play with liquid N2, but I'd recommend you go get a piece of dry ice and break it into a point that will contact the broken stub.

4. Set in sun and let caliper heat. (It is currently 104 deg here)!

5. Put caliper in vice with bleeder up.

6. Take dry ice using tongs or pliers and touch the tapered end to the broken stub for a minute or two. You want to rapidly cool the stub and not the surrounding metal, but don't worry there will be enough latent heat in the caliper if it's not perfect.

7. Immediately insert extractor and turn.

If done right the stub will turn easily. And you can wow the kids and make N2 smoke in a bucket to celebrate when done.

Have fun!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #6

And for future reference, put a dab of anti seize on the new bleeders and you won't have this issue again..........