986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Maintenance recommendations? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/62083-maintenance-recommendations.html)

EFLEXTER 06-22-2016 10:08 AM

Maintenance recommendations?

I'm new here. I have a '98 Boxster. Just turned over 40K Miles. I've owned it for many years and never took it to a dealer, and don't intend to. I've replaced the ignition switch, and I need to do the window winders. (I have changed the oil too.)

What other recommended maintenance do you recommend? I assume it's time for belts, but what else? I'm assuming there are lots of little special things that only you guys know about.

I'm a skilled auto restorer, but the Boxster has always been the one car that I didn't have to restore, so I never touched it. But it's getting dusty under the hood. I do have the Pelican Project book.

Thanks!

Smallblock454 06-22-2016 10:35 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Just use the forums search function: 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others - Search Results

Regards, Markus

jdraupp 06-22-2016 12:27 PM

Pay attention to the Porsche maintenance schedule. 15, 30, 45, 60k mile services etc...

The 15s are smaller services, the 30s are larger services. I'd probably start with a 30k service especially if you haven't done it. Also look at tires. Depending on their age they may need to be replaced. After that, changing the oil at least once a year, 5000k mi max should be your norm. Hopefully you've been doing that anyway?

Welcome to the forum. Great resource.

Flavor 987S 06-22-2016 12:35 PM

Gear lube changed
Coolant flush
Brake fluid flush
Replace thermostat
Replace waterpump
Replace spark plugs
Replace serpentine belt

That will keep you busy for a while.

EFLEXTER 06-22-2016 12:56 PM

I can't believe my "new" car is almost 20 years old. It really got me thinking about things that need replacing from simple age, not miles. Thanks for the replies!

rick3000 06-22-2016 08:18 PM

Wow, that is extremely low mileage for a '98. I hope you have been doing annual maintenance. Letting these cars sit can be worse than putting a ton of miles on them. I would definitely do a full inspection of the car, especially anything rubber or flexible that could have hardened (coolant hoses, serpentine belt, etc). When I purchased my '99 in '07 it had gotten less than 2k miles per year, and I had some initial issues related to the car sitting around too much, like fuel that had crystalized in the fuel line.

You can find a recommended maintenance schedule here:
Maintenance Schedule - Porsche Boxster (986) FAQ

EFLEXTER 06-23-2016 05:09 AM

My biggest concern was the sound the engine makes on start-up after sitting for a while. Clearly it's the sound of an engine that the oil has entirely drained out. A few years ago I started using Royal Purple oil which works better at clinging to the engine parts for long periods. Now the start-up is not so traumatic for the engine.

Otherwise, I think it's time for complete change out of rubber parts, fluids and a few other things suggested here. Thanks for the info!

Matt at Pelican Parts 06-28-2016 02:35 PM

In case you haven't already seen these, the tech articles we have on the Porsche Boxster can be helpful: Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts

Also, to maintain any older rubber parts of your car's exterior (they might be drying out as well), you might want to take a look at Gummi Pflege Rubber Protection, which many of our other forum members have recommended.

Good luck!