986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Underdrive Pulley Questions (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/61789-underdrive-pulley-questions.html)

DRGETZ 05-27-2016 09:41 AM

Underdrive Pulley Questions

Considering Pedro's Underdrive Pulley Kit but read that IMS Bearing Replacement should be done before because of the need to shave down the "boss" or Top Dead Center bolt receiver/holder/whatever (not sure of technical term).

Can someone elaborate on why shaving down the "boss" may make this more difficult?

Can enough of the "hole" be left intact to use it as a TDC guide?

Any other problems experienced as a result of an Underdrive Pulley Kit?

Recommend any other kit over Pedro's and why?

Thanks in advance.

BYprodriver 05-27-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRGETZ (Post 497493)
Considering Pedro's Underdrive Pulley Kit but read that IMS Bearing Replacement should be done before because of the need to shave down the "boss" or Top Dead Center bolt receiver/holder/whatever (not sure of technical term).

Can someone elaborate on why shaving down the "boss" may make this more difficult?

Can enough of the "hole" be left intact to use it as a TDC guide?

Any other problems experienced as a result of an Underdrive Pulley Kit?

Recommend any other kit over Pedro's and why?

Thanks in advance.

the 4" diameter pulley blocks theTDC locking hole making it difficult to lock drivetrain @ TDC which is critical for successful IMSB retrofit.

DRGETZ 05-27-2016 10:21 AM

Thanks for the Reply...

Can't one just install the OEM pulley prior to an IMS Retrofit?

Is there an alternative to using the boss for TDC work and is it a substantially more difficult task?

JFP in PA 05-27-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRGETZ (Post 497506)

Is there an alternative to using the boss for TDC work and is it a substantially more difficult task?

Problem isn't the pulley on many models, it is the amount of the boss you need to machine away.

DRGETZ 05-27-2016 10:51 AM

Can you recommend one requiring less shaving than others?

johnsjmc 05-27-2016 11:55 AM

The majority of pulleys I,ve seen don't have the TDC reference hole thru the pulley. Even if you only remove some of the boss and not all you cant lock the crank without a hole in the pulley. I purchased the Mantis pulley last week strictly because it has the TDC hole in it. I haven,t installed it yet as it is still in the mail.

JFP in PA 05-27-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRGETZ (Post 497515)
Can you recommend one requiring less shaving than others?

We do not recommend any of them.

Topless 05-27-2016 07:24 PM

My 986 had an early RSS underdrive pulley installed in 2009 while shaving off just enough of the timing boss for clearance. When we had the IMS retrofit done a few years later we simply re-installed the stock pulley and everything held together as it should. I had very good reliability with my accessories never overheating and the PS pump never leaked with over 100 track days.

Is it a perfect solution? No. Will it work if you are careful with your installation and save your stock pulley for future engine work? Yes. Shade-tree mechanics shaving down the timing boss smooth is the bane of every engine builder.

Never had a problem with overheating the motor and some have suggested that slowing down coolant velocity may actually improve cooling with longer contact time to absorb/release heat. Ideal heat rise through a heat exchanger or motor seems to be about 40F to get maximum heat transfer. Too fast or too slow and some efficiency is lost. I have not tested this in a 986 with any objective measurement tools, just familiar with heat exchangers and flow rates in my day job. The concept is plausible and my own experience was good.

Ben006 05-27-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 497538)
We do not recommend any of them.

Why?
Except the old lightweight ones that broke, everyone seems to be very happy with the results.

For the cooling system, the thermostat is what regulates the flow, the pump is always spinning fast enough.

JFP in PA 05-28-2016 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben006 (Post 497603)
Why?
Except the old lightweight ones that broke, everyone seems to be very happy with the results.

For the cooling system, the thermostat is what regulates the flow, the pump is always spinning fast enough.

Two reasons: Quality and the lack of a TDC boss on many of them.

A couple of the alloy versions have been prone to cracking, which makes me weak. The lack of a usable TDC boss becomes an issue in the shop when we have to add a substantial upcharge to a repair because we now have to pull the new pulley, reinstall an OEM unit, and hope to Hell there is still enough boss left to hold the TDC pin during repair procedures. And when the DIY install chewed away too much of the boss, we simply have to charge the car's owner a bunch of $ only to tell him we cannot fix his or her car.

Ben006 05-28-2016 06:35 AM

Ok, so less of a concern for a DYIer.

Thanks! :)

JFP in PA 05-28-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben006 (Post 497645)
Ok, so less of a concern for a DYIer.

Thanks! :)

Not really, if you decide to do an IMS retrofit after putting one in, you could be either screwed, or forced to spend time taking it back out in order to do the IMS. And if somewhere down the road you need to pull your cam covers to fix an oil leak, or reset your cam timing after repairing your VarioCam system, you better hope you left enough of the boss to allow you to pin the engine at TDC after you also remove the new pulley and reinstall the OEM unit.

These pulley's are not without their merit on the performance side, but they can have very significant time and money consequence's when it comes to future work.

BRAN 05-28-2016 08:04 AM

Underdrive Pulley might be okay for a track car, but for a DD....meh, not worth the hassle. :rolleyes:

Porsche9 05-29-2016 10:46 PM

I've had the one from Pedro for 2 years now and it works as advertised with NO downsides in day to day use, including the 115 degree Phoenix days.

mr.borrie 05-30-2016 12:43 AM

A good machines pulley should be fine. I sell underdrives for old Volvo's @ Nordic Car Parts and never had any complaints

I don't know much about the M96 engine yet but usually you don't need to shave anything to install a underdrive pully.

Ben006 05-30-2016 08:09 AM

on the m96 you do have to shave part of the cylinder 1 TDC boss!

jsg1206 06-04-2016 02:00 PM

Benefits of higher performance underdrive pulley

like everyone else, I am always looking for that next performance upgrade for my 1999 986 Boxster: have already done L&N IMS retrofit, FVD performance software, K&N air filter, FabSpeed Sport Headers, Fabspeed MaxFlo Exhaust system, replaced OEM cable throttle body with 1999 996 74mm cable throttle body so I could install 996 IPD Plenum, put Victor Rims and Yokohama tires on it, adding NT Auto rear wing and diffuser, drives great and sounds even better.......... pardon my ignorance, will replacing the OEM underdrive pulley with higher performance system add HP and/or torque, if so, is there consensus on which manufacturer is best?

johnsjmc 06-04-2016 03:19 PM

An underdrive pulley doesn't create horsepower but it spins the belt driven accessories slower leaving 5_7 hp extra for driving the wheels. It also might lengthen the life of the power steering pump

NewArt 06-04-2016 04:38 PM

On the track, we are running 4k to redline constantly. The peripherals, especially the power steering pump doesn't like this. I intalled the RSS pulley and shaved off just enough of the boss so that it would clear. Extra HP? Not sure but if I can reduce equipment failures when I'm at the track, it's an easy mod. If you don't track it, don't bother.

Xpit77 06-05-2016 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRGETZ (Post 497506)

Thats what I did. Mantis did the ims and installed one of their pulleys.