986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Small hesitation under load under 1500 rpm (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/61543-small-hesitation-under-load-under-1500-rpm.html)

Cosmo Kramer 05-08-2016 04:47 AM

Small hesitation under load under 1500 rpm

Hi just got my 986 with a 2.5 and the car pulls like a champ. I have this little nagging issue though, if I let the revs below 1500 while driving, when I get back on the throttle it hesitates and bucks once or twice, then it picks up the revs and it's fine. Doesn't matter if I go light or heavy on the throttle still does it. If I don't let the revs drop below 1500 it drives perfect. No other symptoms, no CEL and no pending codes when I scanned it with my OBDII.

I was thinking of running some Techron through it to see if that helps. Anyone else had this happen before?

Joe B 05-08-2016 05:33 AM

Techron can't hurt, but I guess my suggestion would be to not try and accelerate from 1,500 RPMs. I try to keep it above 2,500-3,000 RPMs at all times, as per many recommendations from this board.

78F350 05-08-2016 06:22 AM

Here's s reference for what Joe B is talking about:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25016-lugging-engine.html

As far as the bucking AT 1500 rpm, I'd recommend going through all of the basic tune-up stuff if it has not been addressed recently: Techron, Plugs, MAF - TB - Intake cleaning, Air Filter.

BIGJake111 05-08-2016 07:01 AM

Well the car shouldn't buck. But I would really suggest downshifting instead of attempting to accelerate basically from idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulofto 05-08-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 495118)
Well the car shouldn't buck. But I would really suggest downshifting instead of attempting to accelerate basically from idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ 1, keep th revs up.

Cosmo Kramer 05-08-2016 12:23 PM

When this occurs the engine is not lugging, it's when it transitions from drop throttle to touching the accelerator, like coasting through traffic. I have just been consciously using a lower gear but it just seems odd to me. Perhaps it's just the nature of the beast.

BoxsterSteve 05-20-2016 03:35 PM

Cosmo, are you still experiencing this?

This sounds like what I'm figuring through currently. The car threw a CEL the day I put it into hibernation, so I cleaned the throttle body, figuring the rough idle I was experiencing at the end of last season was from a dirty throttle body. I probably should have pulled the fault code, but didn't.
I did the 100k service over the winter. It started right up, but I couldn't drive it until just last week.
The car idles well enough, maybe a touch less silky than previously.
I'm thinking a MAF that's on its way out. The car hesitates wickedly below 2500rpm with a noticeable lack of power, and it sounds like it is backfiring through the air box until it gets rolling. It and starts to pull at 2500+ rpm.
No CEL, though.
I unplugged it and am going for a spin later to pick up my son from work. From what I understand, if the symptoms don't manifest with the MAF unplugged, then it confirms the MAF is bad.
I'll post back with a report.

BoxsterSteve 05-20-2016 06:00 PM

Runs like a new car with the MAF unplugged.
Time to go parts shopping, dammit!

Smallblock454 05-21-2016 01:32 AM

Well, never try to clean a MAF. You can use some brake cleaner or so to spray on the metal string to get it a bit cleaner, but never – i mean really never touch this thing or try to clean it mechanically. If you try that in 90% the MAF is gone and you need a new one. These things are stupidly sensible.

Regards, Markus

Cosmo Kramer 05-21-2016 04:28 AM

Mine has seemed to have gotten better with a bit of driving. When I bought the car it had just been taken out of winter storage and had the battery disconnected. It's happened a couple times recently but it's way better.

Cosmo Kramer 06-27-2017 05:26 PM

I feel its always good to update these threads with the solution. Mine was coils, I replaced all 6 (two were soaked in oil from bad spark plug tube seals). I did all the tubes, plugs and coils. Problem is completely gone now. Was misfiring at low rpm under load enough to affect drive-ability but not enough to throw a CEL.

algiorda 06-28-2017 04:23 AM

hmmm, I would have thought misfires would be logged by an OBD scanner

Cosmo Kramer 06-28-2017 08:30 AM

Nope. I also had the same problem on a 2011 BMW 328i. Would misfire under load at low rpm. No CEL. Seems that the only misfires that are recorded are complete failures, not weak spark.