986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Spoiler fault - not going down (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/61179-spoiler-fault-not-going-down.html)

_Dan_ 04-10-2016 08:55 AM

Spoiler fault - not going down

Hi All,

I have a fault with the rear spoiler in that it raises at 75mph but then doesn't retract - at which point the light in the dash comes on.

Holding the manual switch in the footwell in the 'down' position causes it to drop about 1/2" but no more, the spoiler will not do anything then until I cycle the ignition so I'm assuming the control module has gone into fault/lockout at that point.

Fuse & relays all seem to be OK, I've had the spoiler unit out of the car and it motors up & down fine with power jumped directly onto the motor, both limit switches appear to be OK (one is closed at top of travel, the other is closed at bottom of travel)

I've currently got the fuse out to stop it getting stuck in the 'up' position, but the warning light comes on at 75mph when it tries to raise the spoiler and can't.

My next step is to investigate the control module itself - does anyone know where it is located on a year 2000 986?, or have any wiring diagrams for it?

Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Dan

jdraupp 04-10-2016 09:10 AM

There are two relays in the trunk that relate to the spoiler. One is for up operation one is for down. Search the forum and you should find more info. Replacing the relay for down operation will likely take care of it.

_Dan_ 04-11-2016 11:51 AM

I've checked the relays (swapped them over, and swapped them out for other c/o relays) - still the same behaviour?

I've not go hold of the wiring diagrams and it appears the spoiler is controlled by the instrument cluster, but I've seen a number post pointing to modules under the passenger seat? - can anyone enlighten me as to what does what?

Any ideas why it would drop a small amount and then stop?

jdraupp 04-11-2016 12:57 PM

Those two relays are specific to those slots. When you order them you literally order that relay for a specific part number. And they each have a separate number. I don't think you can just slide any old relay in there and expect them to do the same job.

_Dan_ 04-12-2016 12:30 AM

Ahhh - do you know the difference between the two relays?

From inspection of the relays and what I saw on the wiring diagrams they appear to be standard 30/40A 5-pin automotive change-over relays, even marked up as such on the pin assignments on the relays themselves (unless mine have already been changed in the past, but then the spoiler has working fine since I bought the car)

It surprises me that Porsche would chose a bespoke relay unless it really had to?, especially when they are mounted in standard relay bases with no poke-yoke features to prevent incorrect components being fitted?

Cheers,

Dan

Gelbster 04-12-2016 07:58 AM

If each relay has a different, unique part number , they must be different ? Why would an OEM assign different part numbers to an identical part? Assuming not an updated version.
Something is causing the spoiler motor to stop after it begins it's decent. Remove & bench test?

_Dan_ 04-13-2016 12:03 AM

Hi Gelbster,

I was under the impression that both relay's have the same part number? - studying the function and wiring diagrams I can't see what would differentiate them from a standard c/o relay.

As mentioned, I have had the unit out of the car already and it bench tests OK, not sure where to go from here?
Does anyone know the logic applied when driving the relays? (e.g. when lowering does the instrument pack expect to see the top of travel switch go open-circuit, or does it just actuate the 'down' relay until it sees the bottom of travel switch go closed circuit?)

Cheers,

Dan

_Dan_ 04-13-2016 12:13 AM

All - for clarity (as I realise there is some conflicting information in this thread)

Looking at illustration 902-01 of the 986 parts catalogue here:-
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/986_USA_KATALOG.pdf
shows both relays having the same part number (996 615 102 00)

jdraupp - can you confirm what you understand the two different part numbers to be?, and where you got this info from?

Cheers,

Dan

jdraupp 04-13-2016 02:12 AM

Pelican showed two when I was looking to order. Now they just show one. Sorry to add to the confusion. When I had this problem removing and repeating the relays solved it so I never ordered one.

_Dan_ 04-13-2016 02:51 AM

Hi jdraupp,

Thanks for the clarification - I've got some time this friday to investigate the wiring a bit deeper - I'll post what I find!

Cheers,

Dan