Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Trunk release cable repair

Hello there!

While cleaning my rear trunk, having removed the carpet for my conversion project, I observed that two (out of 3) of my trunk release cables are shot near the end where the hook like think is crimped on the cable. See attached pic. Good think is my mechanical release going out to the driver side towards the wheel well is intact so I can always open the trunk so far as my vehicle is still in dismantled state...

I am going to try and repair those cables (I should be able to get the correct dia cables at the HW store) but don't know where to get those hooks from... Does anyone know the size/dia of the cables?

Any one has any ideas? One idea I saw in one of the posts was to use a electrical wire connector or grounding lug. However the wire connectors will use up too much height and with 3 wires one on top of another, may make an issue and not allow easy movement.

I wish I can find the hooks somewhere. Hoping you'll have some ideas. Ofcourse, I can always get the cables from Porsche...but that would be too easy...

Also the routing of the electrical release seems to be strange...the cable does not seem to budge as against the other two. Need to figure that out too...

or or

Last edited by PorscheFan5; 03-29-2016 at 10:11 AM.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #2

I repaired mine with an electrical connector for small post, A round eyelet that I crimped on the existing cable. Actually 2 of the cable ends failed and both have this cheap fix. I do have the replacement in the garage but chose this route because to replace would be a royal pain which you will find out once you dig a little deeper. I got my parts from itsnotanova (woody) on this forum. I think the connectors were blue for the correct diameter wire. good luck
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

Nicecar,

You are correct, routing the wire for the 'electric release from inside the car' is going to be a pain. Routing the wires for 'release from inside the trunk' and 'emergency release' would be much easier. Also the challenge of replacing the wire-only vs. the wire and sheath...

Could you post some more info on the eyelets you used and where you got them from? The issue with the eyelets that I posted pictures of is that the height of the eyelet where the wire goes in would be an issue if you were to put eyelets in for more that one (top one)...as it won't allow for easy movement.

I would like to think that we can find these 'crimp-able hooks' somewhere...:-)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Garage
You could use aircraft cable connectors like these.

Aircraft Eye End 1/8 (Swage) | APS
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #5

Yes! Thanks 911monty!

Are the Porsche cables (wires) 1/8" (the bore in this item is 5/32" or 4mm that will be swaged) dia...? Just wanted to confirm. Also are these standard automotive size (dia) used by most cars?

Last edited by PorscheFan5; 03-30-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFan5 View Post
Yes! Thanks 911monty!

Are the Porsche cables (wires) 1/8" (the bore in this item is 5/32" or 4mm that will be swaged) dia...? Just wanted to confirm. Also are these standard automotive size (dia) used by most cars?
I don't have my cables exposed to measure, If needed I can. I just sent an example of the type end that off the cuff should work. You will need to measure and compare to the specifications to determine which to use. Make sure there is sufficient clearance of the end when in the release position. You may also check in your area for an aircraft hardware store so you can select the proper connector. They would probably swage the fitting on for you! Here is a link to various sizes.

Search results for: 'Aircraft Eye End' | APS
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

Thanks. Yes, I found the link for the different sizes. I can easily measure the diameter of the wire and the eye when I get home and decide on the size that we need. Will also look for an aircraft supply store locally otherwise this store seems to be a good source.

I am assuming I can use my handheld crimping tool to do the swaging as these are small diameters...but we shall see. Won't be able to have them swag it for me unless I take the wire and sheath out and take it to them. That wont be easy for the in-cabin release...

Thanks again. I think I will be able to make this work. Will remember to post an update.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #8

Here is an update:

In-trunk release cable:
  • Bought a brake wire from a bicycle store. Diameter works. Had to file the cylindrical tab on the handle side a bit.
  • Measured, marked and cut the stickout needed on the loop side - about 48.5mm
  • Tig welded the wire to the loop using SS filler wire. It was tricky but seems to have worked out
  • Now still have to fit the cable assy back in place

Remote trunk openning cable:
  • Tied a SS strand from the above brake cable around the wire connected to the loop (hanging by a thread)
  • Tig welded with a SS filler wire
  • Now to fit it back. It is going to be challenging since the wire is now 2 mm shorter than before...It may not work but we'll see...:-)

Check out the pics below. If you can TIG weld or have someone who can it may be an option for you. Will post last update after I fit everything...

Cheers.