Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Racer Boy

Alignment Specs?

I finally finished rebuilding the suspension on my 144K mile '02. New Bilstein HD shocks, ROW sport pkg springs, trailing arms, control arms, drop links, shock mounts and bearings, sway bar bushings, and tie-rod ends installed in the car. I drove the car around the block last night, and it is so strange not to have constant noise coming from the car (clunking, squeaking, and banging). I thought the convertible top frame really rattled a lot, but no noise now! It must have been the rear top shock mounts.

My plan is to do a few track days a year, but the car will mostly see street duty. I'd like a somewhat more aggressive alignment than stock, but nothing too aggressive; no darty behavior or tramlining for me, thanks very much!

Do any of you that track your cars occasionally have a set of alignment specs you've found to work for both track days and street driving? I realize that you can't have the best of both worlds, that anything will be a compromise. My guess is that more front camber, and perhaps slightly less toe-in will be the way to go.

If you have any proven specs, please share!

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #2

I would expect about 3/4 deg to 1 deg neg camber up front and close to zero toe. some will use slight toe out for better turn in but can get darty. Max your caster and camber close to equal side to side as you can get. Rear about 1 /2 - 3/4 deg neg camber slightly more toe than front. and slightly less camber
with the slight lowering achieved with the ROW springs you should have up to a deg or more of neg camber available up front and you can use it all .

Last edited by johnsjmc; 04-09-2016 at 08:51 AM.
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote