986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Alarm System Keeps Going Off (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60589-alarm-system-keeps-going-off.html)

Duezzer 02-27-2016 05:51 PM

Alarm System Keeps Going Off

Been thru a bunch of threads on the alarm system - Driving a 99 that the alarm keeps going off.

From the threads I have learned - Please correct me if this is incorrect.

To shut off the alarm you double click the key fob door lock button - Horn will beep and marker lights will come on solid for about 2 seconds

If one presses the key fob to lock just once and the horn goes off this is signalling one of the alarm switches has not been satisfied.

What I find happens - Mainly every time I lock the car I will get a horn signal (pressing key fob) only once. This is telling me something is not set - If I hit the key fob to lock and the horn does not go off anywhere from 1/2 to 2 hrs later the alarm will start sounding.

I believe what this is telling me is one of the switches has opened or closed indicating to the car a breach of the alarm system and setting it off.

So what I want to know - do I have the key fob button pressing sequence correct - Press once to lock - no horn beep - all is set with the alarm
Press once to lock - Horn beeps - something has not set in the alarm system.
Press twice to lock - Alarm disabled.

I do not know which of the switches has failed is usually open - I have manually made sure the roof latch switch is all the way in - Does anyone know why when pressing in the switch for the soft top latch it clicks 2 time - once at about 1/4 of the way in and once at 3/4 of the way in?
Made sure the center council is good - both by checking lid is closed properly and manually tripping the switch -
Have pushed down on the frunk and trunk lids

I suspect it may be in a door lock or the radio ground - The car has an aftermarket stereo.

Going to take into Porsche and have them diagnose - If it is from the stereo I will have the installer take a look. Hopefully they do it for free.

If it is a different switch I may take it on myself or just let them do it.

Does anyone have a list of all the alarm switches in a 99?

andys320 03-02-2016 10:57 AM

Relatively easy to isolate if radio, either insulate radio body or remove the clip (which I did to resolve issues with Becker Indianapolis.) On LHS of radio cage.

steved0x 03-02-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duezzer (Post 485260)
Press once to lock - no horn beep - all is set with the alarm
Press once to lock - Horn beeps - something has not set in the alarm system.
Press twice to lock - Alarm disabled.

Correct... I have gotten in the habit of pressing it twice ever since my ram mount fell off the windshield and triggered the alarm...

Duezzer 03-11-2016 10:17 PM

Thanks for the replies - Pulled radio - did repair - all good now.