Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #1

Thumbs down Help with 03 Boxster desnorklling

I know this has been on here a few times but I did not see anything recent. I was trying to desnorkle my box and the vent does not appear to come out as easy as everyone's described on their box. I pulled pretty hard and I do not want to break it(yes I took the screw on the inside top out). Mine also has a screen held in by one screw in front of the snorkle. I appreciate any insight into my problem.

HDManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #2

Can the '03 be de-snorkeled? I thought it had a different updated intake (from what I've read).
sandyman65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 AM   #3

Don't do it. Porsche updated the design for 03-04 models.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #4

Ok, thanks

I appreciate the quick replies, I guess that's why they made the vent harder to remove. I have been reading posts on here since I purchased my Boxster a little more than 2 months ago and must have missed that. I have put about 6k miles on it so far(it had 65k when I got it) and I really enjoy driving it.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
onshore

I Tried On My '99

I tried to de snorkle my 1999 and couldn't get it to budge. I finally gave up as I thought I would break something as well. Maybe some are attached differently?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #6

You can desnorkel an '03, but it very different from the pre '03 snorkel with the integrated cup you see pictures of in all of the desnork threads.

The process is largely the same, though - and you have to pull harder than you think could possibly be reasonable to get the thing out.

Removing the snorkel did made an audible difference on my '03, but not so much that I'd portray it as the semi-orgasmic you-gotta-try-this mod that the pre-'03 folks make it out to be.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #7

snorkel

So I desnorkeled my 02 boxster S... and it sounded great.. considerable difference.. but then after a week.. it went back to sounding the same... I think the ECU adjusted for the increased airflow.. is this true?
davidj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #8

I desnorked my 2001 s and got ambushed by anti-desnorkers on here. the said it would ruin my MPG. I have been tracking my MPG and have not noticed a difference. I unplugged my battery for an hour also, to get rid of a check engine light (due to stereo malfunction). It seems to run fine and the sound is great. I am still convinced there is no gain in hp or torque, just mpg. the only loss of mpg comes from people reving it over 4000 to hear it roar.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #9

You're right SD, I pulled so hard that I though I was going break it, and I have snapped a bolt or two in my life including a lug bolt on a car(well when I was younger). I see you did the Crios mod, how do you like it? I though desnorling would be the easier of the two and was trying that first. If I do the Crios mod, I think I will go with a 1/4" hole on each side first. What are your thoughs on this? On a side notes, I would like to say that it was and continues to be a pleasent experience to read how helpful and willing to assist everyone is on this forum.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #10

I think the Crios mod is great. I don't think you'll find a quarter inch to be enough to make an appreciable difference. Even with the genormous holes I drilled, the difference isn't tremendous - but it is noticeable, and I like it.

My elderly next-door neighbor told me that I now sound (with the Crios mod + Fabspeed pipes) like The Green Hornet. It's not often someone busts out a 30's-era radio drama reference, but I'll take it as a compliment.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #11

what is the crios mod.....what kind of sound does it give?

i am planning to put on the fabspeed cat bypass pipes but would like to add some deep throatly flat six sound somehow
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #12

The Crios mod is drilling a hole into each exhaust exit of your muffler. There are detailed instructions on this forum, just do a search for "Crios mod". Some have actually drilled two holes per side.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #13

Thank you sir....I see right in-line with the two exhaust exits; makes total sense; how is the sound? Have you done this your self? I am after a deeper flat six sound
Old 09-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #14

The Crios drill method plus the fabspeed pipes will give you the low-end exhaust note you're looking for, with no side of rice.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #15

Just completed the Crios mod a few hours ago in my garage since the weather was bad. I did not jack up the car so I did not have a good position and my holes are a 1/4" off(one is higher or lower than the other). I made one hole on each side, a little bigger than 1/2", maybe 3/4". I started the car and it sounds a little louder but I didn't drive it yet, my wife's Jag was in my way and I didn't feel like playing revolving cars. She's not too happy because since I got my Box, her car has been outside. I have a 66 Mustang taking up the other side of the garage which has to go so that she can have room for her car. Oh well, what can you do. lol
Old 09-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #16

thanks Sd.....just trying get hold of the pipes....put a sound clip if you can. I would to hear what you ended up getting
Old 03-12-2016, 04:06 AM   #17
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster View Post
You can desnorkel an '03, but it very different from the pre '03 snorkel with the integrated cup you see pictures of in all of the desnork threads.

The process is largely the same, though - and you have to pull harder than you think could possibly be reasonable to get the thing out.

Removing the snorkel did made an audible difference on my '03, but not so much that I'd portray it as the semi-orgasmic you-gotta-try-this mod that the pre-'03 folks make it out to be.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found it way to hard to de-snorkle my '03. I pulled as hard as I could - even using vice grips to grab it - and no amount of rotating (maybe 1/8" play) and pulling would get it out more than 1/4". No biggie, as I was just curious as to how it would sound, but I'd rather not break anything and not be able to re-snorkle.

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote