986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   986 Boxster won't turn over (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60410-986-boxster-wont-turn-over.html)

Garethr123 02-11-2016 07:04 AM

986 Boxster won't turn over

Hello all. Looking for some help if possible please.

Purchased my first Porsche a few weeks back with niggles.

It had a list of faults which I'd researched to be the alarm control unit. These were:
Central locking, Windows, interior lights, boot and bonnet release.

So after scouring the internet I found a replacement alarm control unit, ecu and key fob which suited my car with matching number etc.

So I fitted these bits today and result, all the above work brilliant now. Really chuffed. However.......... I tried to crank the engine and it won't turn over. I don't get anything not even dimming of the lights.

I'll just add the I have bolted the ecu in as yet just transferred the wiring. Could it be a ground issue, does the ecu require an earth to work?

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

cornontherob 02-11-2016 07:34 AM

There's a ground wire attached to the engine harness that the DME is on in the trunk. Make sure that's connected. If you have Durametric, run any faults, clear them, try to start the car again. If there's new faults, look them up. ALWAYS check the E1 fuse on the driver's side footwell, it's a 7.5 amp. Starter and radio will not work on most occasions without the fuse working.

What it sounds like is exactly what happened with my car. Starter would not crank, no lights dimming, however a fan turned off when the key was in position. Check the fuse first, it'll be the easiest. Then make sure everything is grounded properly, check for faults. The DME should throw a code if it's an open circuit and not grounded.

Garethr123 02-11-2016 07:37 AM

That sounds like the job. I shan't get chance until tomorrow now to try but I didn't attach any ground wire just the 5 multiway plugs. Fingers crossed this is the one!

Thanks for your help however. I'll be very pleased if it solves my issue.

cornontherob 02-11-2016 07:39 AM

I thought I was about to be in $450 for a new part for my car, turned out to be a $1 fuse.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MNgAAO...JBW/s-l300.jpg
Ground wire in this picture would be seen to the left of the DME, the multiple wires bolted to the trunk wall at the top left of the DME. It's only one bolt, not the bundle of harnesses to the lower left pictured. That's how most of the engine harnesses that I've seen on these cars work, at least.

Garethr123 02-11-2016 07:39 AM

thanks corn, appreciate it. Mine is slightly different. It's a black cartronic Bosch unit.

Also by checker. I have a very basic obdII checker. Would this suffice or is it not quite in depth enough.

Thanks again

Garethr123 02-14-2016 11:14 PM

Got this issue sorted for those interested.

The seller had listed the part wrongly as from a doner manual car, it was however tiptronic.

I replaced the original and it first up first time so had faith in the car.

Once calling and talking through the part with the seller we managed to clarify it was mis-described online causing our issue.

Hopefully I'll source a replacement Soon!

rusty69911 02-14-2016 11:42 PM

interesting, I have been looking into an ecu immob set and it appeared to ok to use a tip ECU at least in an earlier car, but maybe not, lucky I got a manual one then, also difference between ROW and US

Garethr123 02-15-2016 06:15 AM

I would imagine the ecu would be looking for a "neutral signal" before it would start. That amongst other more technical wizardry.

It did all work brilliant though. Rectified all my faults but would run!

The seller has sourced and new one and it's on way however. Good news.