Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
Olde Tyme Sport Cars

Battery Discharge

My 2000 base Boxster had a problem with battery discharge after sitting for 3 or 4 days. I found out that locking the car if it's not going to be used for a couple of days puts the electronics to sleep and mitigates rapid battery discharge. Unfortunately, I was away for a week and the battery was dead when I tried to start it. The battery is only 2 years old. Any ideas?

history19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Garage
I'm not trying to come across as rude at all so I hope that is not conveyed.

There are no less than 1,036 threads on this same subject. Use the forum search and look through them. If you can't find your issue in there report back after trying to hunt down a battery drain.

If you're letting the car sit for a while, investing in a battery maintainer makes sense.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:29 AM   #3

check the specs on your battery

When my battery died the AAA guy said he would test mine but would not sell me theirs since they had too many problems with them due to the Boxster's (and other modern cars) high electrical demands.
A friend with a MB had problems with failure after a few days. He solved it by getting a replacement battery with the right power rating. I leave my car for days and sometimes a week or so with no issue. Good luck.
tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 AM   #4

These cars are rated to have a 40-60 mA parasitic power draw maximum, starting about an hour after being shut down and locked (the draw actually starts higher, but drops off as system power down). If your car tests higher than that, you need to start tracing the electric circuits to isolate where the drain is coming from and contain it. The process to do this is simple and has been written up several times, so do a search and "all will be revealed"..........