986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Window issues after regulator change (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60372-window-issues-after-regulator-change.html)

geraintthomas 02-08-2016 02:53 AM

Window issues after regulator change

I swapped the window regulator in my door recently, and now the window works perfectly. But I have two issues:

1. The window only drops about 1mm when I go to open the door. Luckily it doesn't catch on anything when I close the door and it still makes a nice seal, but it should drop a lot more than this. I've research this and have done the reset procedure (disconnect battery, window down and press again when down, window up and press again when up) but it doesn't make a difference. It still only drops 1mm?

I wonder if the splines on the new regulator don't match up great with the one on the motor, causing some play...

2. The window goes down way past where it should. It goes right into the door and right to the bottom, to the point where if I close the door with the window down, the window bangs back and fourth. Before the regulator failed, the window went down so you could just see the tip of it. Now it goes way, way down into the door. How do I fix this?

Thanks!

emore93 02-08-2016 04:08 AM

Did you do the "window re-calibration" after you did the replacement (hold the up button on the console after rolling the windows up for 5 seconds)?

geraintthomas 02-08-2016 04:08 AM

Yup, already mentioned that bud.

emore93 02-08-2016 04:40 AM

You mentioned bringing the windows up then pressing up again.

The way I heard it was to roll the windows up and continue to hold the up button for an additional 5 seconds. You probably already did this but I thought I would put it out there.

It could also be my English to English translation ;).

Did the windows drop (opening & closing) and roll half way down (dropping the top) before the regulators were replaced?

geraintthomas 02-08-2016 04:42 AM

Right. Just went to look at it and when the door is open, I can push the window down to where it should have dropped. When I close the door it raises correctly, until I open it again.

Seems that there's slack in the cable. Is this adjustable?

emore93 02-08-2016 04:50 AM

You can try this:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable.html

It didn't really work for me and I ultimately ended up replacing the regulator with a new one.

I had the same issue. You could hear the motor drop the windows and could push it down with my hand but it wouldn't move much...if at all.

geraintthomas 02-08-2016 04:51 AM

Great find. You had the same issue? If I can't fix it I'll leave it as they'll only supply a new regulator when they get the old one back, which renders my car useless in the meantime. The window works and is fine, it's just a little annoying.

emore93 02-08-2016 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geraintthomas (Post 483092)
Great find. You had the same issue? If I can't fix it I'll leave it as they'll only supply a new regulator when they get the old one back, which renders my car useless in the meantime. The window works and is fine, it's just a little annoying.

I don't know how it is in the UK but here you can get replacements form Rockauto.

If I can help...let me know.
Shipping to the UK might be a B***.

geraintthomas 02-08-2016 06:08 AM

Thanks.

My second question is with the regulator lowering the window to about an inch or two too low, as it goes deep into the door. How can I stop this? Do I have to put some sort of block at the bottom of the runners?

geraintthomas 02-11-2016 12:01 AM

So I opened the door panel and had a look. Managed to try and tighten one part, and pull/cable tie another. It's better, but still doesn't go down as far as the other. It goes down enough not to catch on anything, and goes up enough to make a good water proof and sound proof seal, so sod it. Can't be bothered to mess with it anymore as I may end up doing more damage than good.

My second question still stands though. How do I make the window to not go down as far as it does? It needs to stop about an inch or two higher than where it does.

edc 02-11-2016 01:26 AM

Have you got an aftermarket regulator?

geraintthomas 02-11-2016 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edc (Post 483440)
Have you got an aftermarket regulator?

I have yeah

Xpit77 02-11-2016 03:39 AM

I had one replaced on my 99. After market AA One ? My indy had to do a mod. Something about a plastic block or stop didnt match OEM. Let me check and I will get back.

geraintthomas 02-11-2016 06:25 AM

Ah I'll look at that. I've still got the broken OEM regulator, so I'll compare the two.