986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Transit mode (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60349-transit-mode.html)

morgal48 02-05-2016 06:52 AM

Transit mode

My car has been in transit, or new car handover, mode since I bought it in 2014. I didn't know what that was until searching for why my interior lights didn't come on when doors were opened. They do come on when the key is inserted in the ignition, but not before. Now that I think I know the problem and solution, I've called around Houston to get someone to "fix" this issue. The reuslts are:
Dealer 1: After three conversations with the receptionist because Service never picked up I went away.
Indy 1: Leave the car, and $149, for a day.
Dealer 2: No idea how that could happen, but for $175 we'll see what we can do.
Indy 2: I don't know what you're talking about, but bring it in and we'll see.
Indy 3: No problems. I didn't even ask how much.

JFP in PA 02-05-2016 06:55 AM

In order to get the car out of this mode, you need someone with a PIWIS unit, either a dealer or well equipped independent shop. And in either case, expect to be charged for one hour of diagnostic labor at their normal rates.

There is no other known way to complete the handover process. What is intriguing to me is that the original selling dealer should have done this as part of new car prep.

JayG 02-05-2016 06:57 AM

It will probably need a PWIS to recode it
If you bought it new, the dealer you got it from should fix it without any questions and no charge.

In any case, as it should have been done when the new car delivery prep was done. First I would ask to speak with the General manager of the dealer. If that does not get it done for free, then I would call Porsche corporate and speak with cust service there. They should get it sorted out with a local dealer to get it it fixed

morgal48 02-05-2016 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 482753)
In order to get the car out of this mode, you need someone with a PIWIS unit, either a dealer or well equipped independent shop. And in either case, expect to be charged for one hour of diagnostic labor at their normal rates.

There is no other known way to complete the handover process. What is intriguing to me is that the original selling dealer should have done this as part of new car prep.

I'm 3rd owner. Ist owner kept in the garage for the better part of 13 years - only a bit over 32k miles. My WAG is that it sat for many long periods, and may have gone in to really deep sleep. 2nd owner bought it to learn how to race, so maybe never saw the need for the lights. Research that I did led me to believe that this was a indeed a rare issue. I'll find more details Tuesday.

JFP in PA 02-05-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgal48 (Post 482776)
I'm 3rd owner. Ist owner kept in the garage for the better part of 13 years - only a bit over 32k miles. My WAG is that it sat for many long periods, and may have gone in to really deep sleep. 2nd owner bought it to learn how to race, so maybe never saw the need for the lights. Research that I did led me to believe that this was a indeed a rare issue. I'll find more details Tuesday.

It is also not uncommon for the later cars to revert to transit mode if the battery is replaced.

Quadcammer 06-13-2017 04:09 AM

I believe I have this issue. My interior lights don't come on unless the key is inserted into the ignition. I also have the double beep on locking.

Would Durametric be able to adjust this or PIWIS only?

thanks.

steved0x 06-13-2017 04:35 AM

Whoops wrong thread, deleted...