986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Parking Brake Light and Convertible Top Microswitch - Is There a Connection (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60277-parking-brake-light-convertible-top-microswitch-there-connection.html)

thom4782 01-28-2016 08:06 PM

Parking Brake Light and Convertible Top Microswitch - Is There a Connection

I could use your help chasing down a solution.

Last weekend, I wanted to open to clamshell to check to see if the rear drains were clear. I put the parking brake on, opened the convertible top latch and pushed the button to lower the top. Nothing happened. No parking brake light, no window drop and no motor sounds.

Yesterday, I replaced the parking brake sensor switch. Now when I put the brake on, open the latch and push the button, the top will open. Still the parking brake light is out and the windows won't drop.

So my next task will be to change out the micro switches next to the convertible top latch. I expect this will fix the window won't drop problem. My question is will this fix the parking brake light out problem?

I know the light works because it comes on when I first turn the key in the ignition.

Thanks

cornontherob 01-29-2016 03:14 AM

Has it thrown any codes?

thom4782 01-29-2016 07:27 PM

Good question I'll check tomorrow

thom4782 01-30-2016 04:18 PM

Found several codes. They were:

33 - interior sensor faulty
42 - wrong key or transponder pill
60 - central locking limit position Lock not reached

None of these seem like the problem unless the interior sensor and the latch micro switch are part of the same unit

jdraupp 01-30-2016 04:54 PM

The brake has a sensor. If the light isn't lighting up when you pull the brake then that sensor needs replaced or the top won't operate. Seeing as you replaced it but the light still doesn't come on, check your work. Maybe test the relay with a multimeter?

If the light is good, and the sensor is good, you should see that light up when you pull the handle.

thom4782 03-19-2016 04:01 PM

Here's where things stand now
  1. Parking light on when I first turn the ignition key; goes off when engine starts
  2. Convertible top and windows work normally
  3. Tested the convertible top relay with multi-meter, all tests were normal
  4. No parking light when engine is running and I pull up on the parking brake

Am I right that the light should come on when I pull up on the parking brake? If so, where should I look next.

Thanks

TripleBlack01 03-30-2016 02:31 AM

Having the exact same issue, top works, but no brake light, so curious to see how this works out?

particlewave 04-04-2016 10:10 PM

Thom - disregard my last message. After a quick search, I see that you have a 2001. The correct pin on the cluster is #22 on the blue connector. Same procedure as described in my last message. With the DVM or test light attached as I described, pull the brake and release it to confirm that it is switching correctly. If not, you have a break in the wire between the parking brake and the cluster.
If it does switch properly, the problem lies within the cluster.