Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

DME programmed?

Okay, first I'll admit I did not search this topic. But, you will excuse me because of my excitement in just returning from a test drive in the 2002 S I acquired that had a totally destroyed IMS bearing. I swapped the engine with a low mile (new IMS bearing installed, etc.) and this car frigging flies. I've driven other S models of this vintage and there is no comparison.

I already put another car on the lift, so I can't confirm that this is in fact a 3.2, but I suspect the added kick in the pants is a result of a chip or programming. How can I tell? And, how can I duplicate the program.

Seriously, this car is so fast, it can't be stock. Help me figure out what I have here.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

I should add, no secondary cats. No check engine light, 6 speed. New plugs and tubes, IMS bearing, AOS, RMS, coolant flush, low temp thermostat, water pump, filters, oil, etc.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

The engine number might (or might not)give you a clue to what it is......
Detecting an upgraded tune may be a little more difficult, but clues like a throttle body upgrade and cold air intake may help.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. No upgrades to the engine. The original engine was toast after IMS bearing failure. So I personally swapped in another 3.2. That motor was bone stock. I will double check the engine number, but I believe I did that when the motor was first unloaded from the carrier.

I suspect this crazy power is coming from the tune. During the swap, of course, the engine harness plugs into the DME. It was in its stock location and appeared stock. If there were a chip, where would it be? I assumed it would piggyback on to the DME. Not seeing that only leaves a software change to the DME. Can a PIWIS show that? And, will PIWIS leave the program alone, or try to write the stock program over it? I wouldn't want that.

Surely someone here has flashed their DME and knows what "finger prints" are left behind. Thanks, Joe
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
Thanks for the reply. No upgrades to the engine. The original engine was toast after IMS bearing failure. So I personally swapped in another 3.2. That motor was bone stock. I will double check the engine number, but I believe I did that when the motor was first unloaded from the carrier.

I suspect this crazy power is coming from the tune. During the swap, of course, the engine harness plugs into the DME. It was in its stock location and appeared stock. If there were a chip, where would it be? I assumed it would piggyback on to the DME. Not seeing that only leaves a software change to the DME. Can a PIWIS show that? And, will PIWIS leave the program alone, or try to write the stock program over it? I wouldn't want that.

Surely someone here has flashed their DME and knows what "finger prints" are left behind. Thanks, Joe
I am not aware of anyone doing "piggy back" chip setups for these cars; most vendors reflash the DME. A PIWIS can detect a non factory flash, but will not overwrite it unless instructed to do so.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
Okay, first I'll admit I did not search this topic. But, you will excuse me because of my excitement in just returning from a test drive in the 2002 S I acquired that had a totally destroyed IMS bearing. I swapped the engine with a low mile (new IMS bearing installed, etc.) and this car frigging flies. I've driven other S models of this vintage and there is no comparison.

I already put another car on the lift, so I can't confirm that this is in fact a 3.2, but I suspect the added kick in the pants is a result of a chip or programming. How can I tell? And, how can I duplicate the program.

Seriously, this car is so fast, it can't be stock. Help me figure out what I have here.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Is this your first Porsche? How many others have you driven?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote