Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Boxster Spoiler Going UP - One Side Only

Hey Friends,

Just purchased an '03 Boxster S (low mileage) and noticed that the rear spoiler only comes up on one side...Passenger side comes up only an inch or so.

Tried to manually pull it up but it doesn't move.

Same thing happens when I use the manual switch inside the car.

Now What...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

FantasyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #2

ANYONE have any insight or advice on this issue??
Old 01-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Welcome!

Quick search on google with keywords "boxster 986 spoiler problem one side" returned possible misalignment, loose connections, pressure on the switch causing one side to come free, intermittent contact, etc. (renntech.org)

Guessing you'll first need to remove the rear bumper to have a good visual of what is causing this. If I am correct I think there is a youtube HowTo remove the bumpers on this car.

Luck mate
Old 01-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyJim View Post
ANYONE have any insight or advice on this issue??
My advice is to fix it.

It's an obvious mechanical failure, so you'll need to get in there and find the root cause.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

So now you know...To remove the top painted panel on this '03 there are NO plastic "rivets" (like referred to in other posts)...instead there are 4 holes in the back of the panel (when spoiler is raised)...use a small punch to push through those holes as there are dimples on the other side...Push on those "dimples" to release the front edge of the top piece...there are small tabs on the rear of that painted panel that will now slide off (towards the rear)..Now that the panel is off, you can begin the removal of the entire assembly (which looks like a sun roof track) from the inside of the trunk...got to take down the carpet first & make sure the spoiler posts are in the down position.

Found a complete replacement assembly on EBAY for $75
Old 02-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #6

Ah that's not bad at all. Fixed it I assume?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

Yes...all fixed...I don't like to "wrench" on anything especially a car I am not familiar with...But after watching a Youtube video from a guy in UK changing out the assembly...I thought I'd give it a try...I've got about 5 hours in a job that should only take 2 hours...But I saved several hundred bucks (based on quotes I received to repair it).

This part looks near identical to a sun roof track & motor and is made by Webasto (a sun roof manufacturer in Germany)...Press a button to open/close or press a button to go up/down...same principal.

Got to thank one of the users on here who gave me the "trick" on removing that top painted piece on the spoiler ... made all the difference in deciding to tackle the job myself. THANKS!!!
Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Change the complete mechanism mine did the same the plastic black casing where the cable enters the ram gets Brocken and the cable gets stuck

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mikebox is offline   Reply With Quote