986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   spare key question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60144-spare-key-question.html)

boxster 01-15-2016 11:16 AM

spare key question

So, when I bought the car, the guy I bought it from gave me 1 complete key, and another key that had no internal electronics, just the glass capsule. My question is, if I ever lose the good key after locking the car with it's key fob, would there be any way of switching off the alarm if I had to manually open the door with the the other key?

Meir 01-15-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxster (Post 480179)
So, when I bought the car, the guy I bought it from gave me 1 complete key, and another key that had no internal electronics, just the glass capsule. My question is, if I ever lose the good key after locking the car with it's key fob, would there be any way of switching off the alarm if I had to manually open the door with the the other key?

yes.
you open the door with the key, and then turn the ignition on.
that should turn the alarm off.

Smallblock454 01-15-2016 01:12 PM

@Meir:
Yes, but only if the key has a transponder that is recognized by the alarm system.

@boxster:
The glass capsule is the transponder.

Regards, Markus

boxster 01-15-2016 10:28 PM

Ok, that's great to know then, thanks a lot guys. Yes the key has a transponder, it starts the car no problem. I just want to know if I'm "safe" with the spare key just in case I ever lose the other one. I thought its not much good having a spare key if I wouldn't be able to switch off the alarm then. As long as I know the alarm can be easily turned off I don't need to go spend money on another key, the one I have is enough. Will the alarm remain off then, or will it come on again when I switch off the car and take the key out of the ignition?

JayG 01-16-2016 06:29 AM

If the key starts the car, you are good to go

If you want to get another key head with the electronics in it they are about $130 from genuineporscheparts.com. Then you need to get it programmed at a Porsche dealer $50-$150. Only a dealer can program the keys

Smallblock454 01-16-2016 07:31 AM

Hi boxster,

is you spare key a fob key? If not, please hold the transmitter (glas capsule) beside the key and try to start the car. If it doesn't start the transmitter will not be recognized by the alarm system and might not work for you car and you won't get it startet if you loose your fob key.

If your spare key is a fob key, just try to start the car with it.

Regards, Markus

boxster 01-16-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallblock454 (Post 480270)
Hi boxster,

is you spare key a fob key? If not, please hold the transmitter (glas capsule) beside the key and try to start the car. If it doesn't start the transmitter will not be recognized by the alarm system and might not work for you car and you won't get it startet if you loose your fob key.

If your spare key is a fob key, just try to start the car with it.

Regards, Markus

Yes its a fob. As I said, I can start the car no problem with the spare key, I obviously can't lock it with the fob, I have to lock it manually, but as I just want it as a safety net just in case I lose the main key, then its good to know that I can turn off the alarm by putting the key in the ignition. I don't need to spend money on a spare key since I have one that I can work with.