Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Garage
C3 Fuse Short, WHYYYY

I was driving, rolled up (thank God it did it when they were up.) the windows getting onto the freeway, and when I tried rolling them down, they wouldn't. They move down fine when I open the doors, idk about the drop top, since my car doesn't have a soft top anymore and the switch was disconnected. But I checked the C3 Fuse first and found it blown, I popped in a 15, it popped right away, I put in a 40 quickly to see if it would pop that, it didn't. But couldn't get the Fuse out in time to save the damn wire from melting. It's totally exposed so looks like I'll have to remove as much as I can and replace the wire.

Does anyone know everything the C3 fuse handles? I know it powers the orange illumination light in the roof, and the dome lights as well as the window switches. Looks like I'm going to have to pull every inch of the interior apart just to locate this short.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Old 01-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

Fuse C3 on your 2001 car controls the alarm control module, the interior lights and the power windows.
That was a foolish thing installing a 40A fuse instead of a 15A fuse - you have not only burnt off the conductor insulation but could have seriously damaged whatever piece of equipment was causing the original fuse to blow & just as easily burnt your car to the ground.
Just hope its not damaged the alarm control module.....
Old 01-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Fuse C3 on your 2001 car controls the alarm control module, the interior lights and the power windows.
That was a foolish thing installing a 40A fuse instead of a 15A fuse - you have not only burnt off the conductor insulation but could have seriously damaged whatever piece of equipment was causing the original fuse to blow & just as easily burnt your car to the ground.
Just hope its not damaged the alarm control module.....
Screw the alarm control module lol. Worthless junk is all it is. Factory alarm keeps killing remotes, not about to pay 400 dollars for another when an aftermarket will do its job and then some. And it wasn't a 15, it was a 30. I didn't know it was only supposed to be a 15. The first Fuse blew was a 30. I figured the 40 would pop also. But figures it was originally a 15. My luck.

I was thinking the relay for the windows popped it. Since that's what I was doing when it popped. But I have noticed lots if the wires are poorly shielded. Doing the radio, a shielded wire has just fallen and hit a ground source and popped a Fuse. It's happened a lot. That whole center console unit, the power wires can be shorted through the Sheild just by tapping them to a ground source. It's very disturbing.

Thanks. I'm pulling dash apart soon to dye it, I'll repair that wire. And look for its short. It's either a relay or like I mentioned, a wire arcing through its shield to short out. Just gotta follow it.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk