986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Replacement CV Axle (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60050-replacement-cv-axle.html)

alynch 01-06-2016 03:18 PM

Replacement CV Axle

Anyone have experience with these?

alynch 01-06-2016 03:21 PM

Replacement CV Axle

Forgot to include the link :(

alynch 01-06-2016 03:23 PM

Replacement CV Axle

1 Attachment(s)
How about a picture instead ...

Attachment 19999

Eric G 01-07-2016 03:54 AM

A quick search showed full Boxster assemblies running 865/piece. It appears you are showing a generic component. Are you asking about the price, the part or the vender?

alynch 01-07-2016 04:17 AM

Asking about the part and whether anyone has installed one in their Boxster. There is a significant cost difference between the OEM axle and this part. I would be happy if I can use this alternative but not if it means the quality is questionable and I end up replacing it again after a couple of years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 479083)
A quick search showed full Boxster assemblies running 865/piece. It appears you are showing a generic component. Are you asking about the price, the part or the vender?

JFP in PA 01-07-2016 07:43 AM

Many vendors are pushing aftermarket axle units for these cars. We get reps dropping by the shop all the time. Most are coming out of China and when compare to the OEM unit, the differences are quite obvious. If you are shopping on price alone, something like this would be your choice; but if you are looking for quality, look elsewhere.

Deadeye 01-07-2016 10:43 AM

I installed a new aftermarket axle on my track boxster a couple of years ago (it came new in the box as a spare part with the car) and it didn't last one weekend. Grease came out the vent hole in the end of the axle and from around the boot seals. May be OK for street, but no way for track use. I ended up cleaning, re greasing and installing new boots on the old axle. No problem since then.

Smallblock454 01-07-2016 10:59 AM

I would rebuilt the OEM axle. Not that difficult if the joints are OK.

Regards, Markus

alynch 01-07-2016 11:32 AM

I have a pair of rebuild kits for each CV axle. The outer boot on the driver's side axle is split and I don't know how long it has been open or what damage may have already occurred to the cv joint. The joint is not making any noises and I was just looking for possible alternatives in case I find damage when I disassemble, clean, and install new boots on the axles.

Smallblock454 01-07-2016 12:51 PM

In general there is enough grease in there to protect the joint.

I would first check everything. If there is really wearing i would tend to buy a used OEM part and rebuilt it with new grease and cv boots instead of buying these cheap aftermarket things. ;)

Regards, Markus

alynch 01-07-2016 01:25 PM

Good advice. I'll do that. Thanks.