986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   If failure is due to IMSB, what's salvageable from the engine? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60038-if-failure-due-imsb-whats-salvageable-engine.html)

Prelude Guy 01-05-2016 07:53 PM

If failure is due to IMSB, what's salvageable from the engine?

Guys,

I have a few ideas rolling around in my head. Just wanted to get an idea of what are the most common engine internals that are damaged after the IMS fails? Are things like the heads, cams, crank, rods, pistons usually unharmed? The block and IMS are obviously damaged.

Thanks for your help!

Steve Tinker 01-05-2016 10:09 PM

Even if the IMS bearing is showing early signs of wear, metal particles (we would call it dust if the particles were air born) is already circulating in the oil system - that means potential damage to every moving part that is lubricated by the oil. That means everything from main & big end bearings, crank, camshafts, oil pumps (3 off), pistons, hydraulic lifters, etc etc.

Use the search function "collateral damage", and take note of Jake Raby's very accurate comments on the various stages of IMS bearing failure.

Several hours informative reading at bedtime..... guaranteed to keep you awake if you have the single row bearing in your M96 engine car!!

flaps10 01-06-2016 12:09 PM

Oil drain plug
valve cover bolts
dip stick

If you're really lucky the crankshaft and bearing carrier.

The rest is a maybe.

Jamesp 01-07-2016 12:16 PM

In my case the shaft needed to be replaced. I agreed to buy an 04 s with a failed IMSB that looked like the shaft might even be salvaged without splitting the block so that would have been a new IMSB with a little machine work (with luck!). The seller welched however so we will never know. I can't stand dealing with dishonorable people.

Jake Raby 01-07-2016 01:10 PM

This is completely dependent upon if the engine is re- started after the failure, as well as how long the engine runs at stage 3 failure.

Collateral damage is always the determining factor.
That said, please don't let it fail, there's not enough good core components out there, plus to know about the issue, and take chances, is a really sad thing when a failure does occur.

Typically with my reconstructions, since so much of the OE engine is thrown away, away, we only end up needing to replace the IMS shaft during the reconstruction of an engine that failed due to an IMSB. Thats not the case with lesser programs that retain most OE components as a "rebuild".

Xpit77 01-08-2016 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaps10 (Post 478999)
Oil drain plug
valve cover bolts
dip stick

If you're really lucky the crankshaft and bearing carrier.

The rest is a maybe.

That`s just cold man.

JFP in PA 01-08-2016 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpit77 (Post 479225)
That`s just cold man.

Perhaps, but it is factual. When the IMS goes, it does not leave much behind that is usable.

Xpit77 01-23-2016 06:44 AM

Back in my old Stock Car days we use to say.
Maybe the radcap.
Good ol American Iron blows up good,real good.