Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

Garage
Thoughts on These Leather Armrest Covers ?

I came across these on eBay. They're available with different colored stitching too. I thought they looked pretty cool. Any thoughts ?

Yellow Stitch Porsche Boxster 986 2X Door Armrest Leather Covers Only | eBay

Attached Images

Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Damn Yankee

Garage
Go for it, dude.

TO

p.s. And please keep the Dangermobile. Don't sell!
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Go for it, dude.

TO

p.s. And please keep the Dangermobile. Don't sell!
I'm trying to guess if these covers will go on ok without needing Geppetto on standby ? Can't have anything looking bobo on the D-mobile.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
jakesbox

Those are real nice looking. Some of this aftermarket stuff is a little cheesy but those look right...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

Danger, BOBO, big big big BOBO. No -can-do on the D-Mobile (sorry)

Com'on what's wrong with you suddenly?? You need to upgrade the dope dealer instead man... his smoke is clearly wrong
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

There some members here who does pretty clean CF parts - sure they have the arm rest mold. That's minimum you should go with.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #7

JD, I made and installed my own leather covers and it was a breeze. I used spray on contact adhesive and, in order to ensure that it was lined up properly, made an outline on the back side of the leather. You can use your fingers to to push out any bubbles. Really, the only hassle was in attempting to re-install the little springs. I finally gave up and just let the armrests flop up and down with use.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
JD, I made and installed my own leather covers and it was a breeze. I used spray on contact adhesive and, in order to ensure that it was lined up properly, made an outline on the back side of the leather. You can use your fingers to to push out any bubbles. Really, the only hassle was in attempting to re-install the little springs. I finally gave up and just let the armrests flop up and down with use.

Brad
That was my next question. What's it like to re-install the arm rests ? I suspected those springs were going to be a problem.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #9

Let me explain my BOBO comment;

Based on the picture

1. The leather is cheap & thick rubbish cow stuff, or recycled
2. The yellow stitching looks silly right there in the middle. Aligns with nothing but craziness.
3. Stitching again, how do you make this look sharp and clean. It's a No.5 shape
4. Think about what it will look under there when the arm rest is open. It will feel like seeing SATAN every time you open the lid to get your shades (glue residues, uneven, etc). You'll scare off the Danger Girls for sure with this mod mate.

Now, if you could find a black NAPPA (Italian) thin QUALITY leather, then I may say give it a try. But still I'd go for nothing else than CF if the plastic is really not your thing.

My Kangooroo Motorcycle Racing Suit looks better than this cheap stuff on the above picture :/ Come on guys
Old 11-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #10

You may be the legal owner of the D-Mobile, but in fact, it belongs to all of us here.... dearest member of 986forum.com

I'd recommend you to start a POLL and do the mod(s) based on the official poll results only. Especially when you're bored and thinking about sticking this and that to it.

THANK YOU for your understanding, Danger (lol)

(from a huge fan of your car)
Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #11

Garage
Ugh. No. Please don't.

That said, it's your car...
Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #12

Garage
Given the price, I'm guessing that they're probably pretty cheap looking. Oh, well just a thought. As far as CF is concerned, there's nothing CF in the cockpit of the D-mobile. That being said, I think it would make the armrests look out of place.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #13

Garage
Well, I wouldn't go with the stitching on the arm rests, your elbow will be right on the stitching. With that said, I bought the center console cover from that seller and can recommend them. The leather is decent quality and I got matching leather for the door armrests. Easy to do with some contact cement. The hardest part is getting the springs back on the door armrests, but not that difficult! I say do what you want, worst case, you don't like it and put on plain leather.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #14

Garage
Looks good to me JD. Why would anyone want different color stiching??

When I finally get around to this project I want some high density foam padding under the leather for my elbows.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #15

Garage
I've been thinking about picking those up as well. I like the idea of putting a bit of foam padding underneath them... I really dislike the cheap plastic flaps from the factory...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #16

I think there was a thread on installing leather armrest covers with foam padding a while back. The problem is that even with leather alone, the gap is pretty tight so the foam (which has to be sanded by the edges) would have to be very, very thin. I think plain leather of similar grain makes a big improvement over the plastic (and there is the added advantage that it does not scratch with watch bands etc., like the painted on finish on the original plastic). Apart from the springs, re-installation is a snap - the little rods go back in quite easily.

As I recall Pedro is selling leather kits on his site - not sure of the quality or grain match, but presumably someone can chime in.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #17

NO
b/c 1)stitching in wrong place, will rub elbow, 2)looks like too cheap to buy a whole piece of leather so used scraps stitched together, 3) finish not even close to smooth texture of oem leather, 4) deviated color looks a bit ricer, especially when it doesn't match the stitching in the rest of the interior And is only applied to a trivial (rather than performance) component.
On the other hand, you haven't done so bad with the rest of the car, even without my guidance, so if you are really set on this, well, now that you've decided to keep it... nah, still No.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #18

Garage
I say either DIY with quality stuff, or go with Alcantara like me.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Looks good to me JD. Why would anyone want different color stiching??

When I finally get around to this project I want some high density foam padding under the leather for my elbows.
The D-mobile came through with yellow stitching on the seats, door panels ect.. I'm guessing there are others who opted for the stitching in various colors as well.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAUSIDMT View Post
I say either DIY with quality stuff, or go with Alcantara like me.
Let's see some pics ?