Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Wheel bearing tutorial for us simple guys...

Front Wheel Bearings.....What Pelican does not tell you.......

So I bought the car in October, and knew it needed a rear bearing. Very loud. Pelican says always do them in pairs, and I say this is bad advise. You should do all 4 at once. I originally did just pass rear, and the noise was gone and I was thrilled. $700. Porsche quoted $1200. In the past few weeks I have been getting that familiar "wob-wob-wob" that is directly related to speed and is louder when braking. So it was time to do the front. After doing the front, it is "slippery" in comparison and there is an impressive smoothness to the ride. Zero vibration in my feet. What I thought was road noise was bearings, no doubt now. However, having done 3 bearings now, I can clearly hear how loud the other rear bearing is. Since I need a new boot back there anyway, no big deal. I have a 2500 sq' shop with full sets of snap-on, great lighting, and great tools. I bought a 12-ton press and a wheel bearing puller kit from Harbor Freight Tools for this project. $250 for both, $150 for FAG front bearings. The press had to be modified to accept 6.5" material (hub) between the base pieces and new supports were cut from scrap stock. It helps to have a full shop, welding, wood, and all.

First, most of Pelican's book applies when talking about tear down & reassemble. I'm just going to fill in the gaps they left out. First pic we are totally broken down and the drop link disconnected. Use a second jack to raise the suspension to get the bolt out. That little arm behind the drop link is the control arm for the Litronics, and is plastic. Be careful in there. Second shows underside with front brake spoiler in place on lower control arm. Third pic shows why you cannot do this with the bearing housing installed. The shock extends too far behind the center of the wheel and that spindle has to come out. Maybe earlier versions can be left in, but it's WAY easier to just pull the bearing housing out. Fourth shows pressing out the old bearing. Here is where I depart from Pelican. I say press the entire bearing out now. Pic 5 shows the bearing coming out to as far as you can loosen the bearing retainer and this has to be done in 3 stages to get the entire bearing out.

*ETA...if you have never removed a ball joint or a tie rod end with a spreader.....have some toilet paper near by!

Attached Images

Last edited by Timco; 03-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

More pics

Pic one shows bearing moving out as a whole, not in 2 pieces as Pelican says will happen. Pic 2 is bearing pressed out but still on spindle. Pic 3 is empty bearing housing. Pic 4 is using a 3-jaw puller to pull the entire bearing off at once with the retainer. Pic 5 we are totally torn down.
Attached Images

Last edited by Timco; 03-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

very helpful-- excellent pictures. I ll be doing this soon Thanks.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
very helpful-- excellent pictures. I ll be doing this soon Thanks.
The rear was way harder. Used a sledge hammer to get the axel spline from the rear hub. I did the rear in the car.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #5

Looks good Tim! The more I drive the Box, the more I'm convinced I'll be doing this next. Luckily, I just had the axles out so no sledgehammer for me. Lol. One question I have had as I look at bearings is are all 4 corners the same part numbers?

Last edited by sam c.; 04-17-2013 at 08:12 PM.
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c. View Post
Looks good Tim! The more I drive the Box, the more I'm convinced I'll be doing this next. Luckily, I just had the axles out so no sledgehammer for me. Lol. One question I have had as I look at bearings is are all 4 corners the same part numbers?
For the S model there are front & rear. Don't know about base.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Thom

Garage
Different size for S model bearings

There are two sizes for wheel bearings. I found this out the hard way this weekend. I bought a pair from an online discount retailer, even the local big 3 auto parts dealers all catalogs showed the same sizes. I finally called PelicanParts and they did a VIN search; found the 00-03 S models have different ones.

Good luck

Calmg0d is offline   Reply With Quote