Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Window problems

Hi all, hopefully someone can give me a clue as to where to start looking.
Boxster windows today, for the first time, won't go all the way up. They stop going up at the point where they drop down to put top down. I cycled the roof up and down to see if that corrected anything and it did not. Then randomly, while driving around, the drivers window would go down on its own, then, the passenger would as well. I'm assuming its a switch somewhere for the convertible top keeping them from going all the way up. Any other ideas? Assuming a switch where nd or what one should I look at first?

Thanks

Shawn

Msw-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msw-986 View Post
Boxster windows today, for the first time, won't go all the way up. They stop going up at the point where they drop down to put top down. I cycled the roof up and down to see if that corrected anything and it did not. Then randomly, while driving around, the drivers window would go down on its own, then, the passenger would as well. I'm assuming its a switch somewhere for the convertible top keeping them from going all the way up. Any other ideas? Assuming a switch where nd or what one should I look at first?

Thanks

Shawn
Not going all the way up sounds like the top switch is disengaged.. The windows drop when pressing the top disengage top level.

Sounds like the micro switch where the top clamps into the slot above the mirror.

You should be able to put you finger in there and simulate the top up or down..
With the windows all the way down, and you press that switch they should come all the way up..

Does you top light on the dash go out when this happens?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Sorry to disagree, but...

... generally when this happens, the problem is in the door locking mechanism, not in the microswitch.
The microswitch would have to be engaged in order for the window not to go up all the way. When the microswitch fails, it fails in the disengaged position.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
Not going all the way up sounds like the top switch is disengaged.. The windows drop when pressing the top disengage top level.

Sounds like the micro switch where the top clamps into the slot above the mirror.

You should be able to put you finger in there and simulate the top up or down..
With the windows all the way down, and you press that switch they should come all the way up..

Does you top light on the dash go out when this happens?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

Yes the light does go out on the dash
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #5

To me it seems as if the car thinks I'm trying to put the top down, hence the windows going to the "top down" position.
No idea why the windows are going down when driving though
Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
... generally when this happens, the problem is in the door locking mechanism, not in the microswitch.
The microswitch would have to be engaged in order for the window not to go up all the way. When the microswitch fails, it fails in the disengaged position.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
You the man Pedro...

When he mentioned both windows doing that, I immediately thought top micro switch. Dis-engaging, driving around with a lose switch causing sporadic behavior..
Old 11-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #7

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Thanks Pedro, so what part of the locking mechanism should I start looking at?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msw-986 View Post

Thanks

Shawn
if I am reading this correctly
1) the windows drops and stop at the "top up/down" position (~3 inches from full up)
2) using the window switch, the window will not go any higher (but can be lowered further?)
3) with the windows at this position, while driving, the windows go further down on it's own(pass 3 inch point)
4) the driver's side moves down first followed by the passenger side

next time this happens, give this a try;
be safe and stop the car,
don't touch the window button,
don't pull the e-brake,
unlock the top release mechanism
and with your finger, push the small button in the top locking mechanism.

if the windows goes up, then the micro switch needs to be replaced.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

Yes it's the micro switch. Unlatched the top, pushed in the switch, and the windows went up. The other day I did notice the small felt tip of the latch fell off. So I put a small piece of cardboard on the latch to test. With the cardboard on the latch everything worked fine. Latch needs about 2 mm to engage the switch, or a piece of cardboard car going away this week for winter, final fix in the spring

Thx all for the help!
Old 04-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Hi Pedro.
Sorry to bring up an old post but I'm having this problem and suspect it to be my door locking mechanism as I just had some one look at my driver side external handle which stopped working. Now the next day I have my internal light turning on because my car unlocks itself and my windows go down.
And help would be appreciated.

b19upj is offline   Reply With Quote