Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 AM   #1

Odd CEL issue

Heres a bizzare one for you all, its certainly got me stumped!

When i turn on my ignition i get all of the dash lights coming on and doing their self test. All except the check engine light.

I removed the cluster thinking it could be a bad bulb and there was no bulb fitted at all, not only that the contacts for where the bulb goes have no marks on them at all almost as if there has never been a bulb fitted.

I have fitted a working tried and tested bulb, re installed the clocks and still the CEL does not come on and do the self test.

The car has no issues anyway as ive scanned it with two different fault code readers so im not too worried but it just annoys me that the cel doesnt seem to be working!

Any thoughts?

Also the car is a june 1999 boxster 2.5 manual. I assume all boxsters even early ones did have a functional cel?

Sideways Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:24 AM   #2

Garage
Your po may have left that thing on so long that when the bulb blew it fried the socket too?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:30 AM   #3

Its highly unlikely, the bulbs in the cluster dont draw anywhere near enough power to fry the board. If they did then your dial illumination etc would have also fried years ago since there on pretty much all the time in the uk.

Also the board is spotless and as i said it actually doesnt even look lile there was ever a bulb fitted.

The car has only had 3 owners, it has impeccable history and is in excellent condition throughout so had the light indeed come on in the past its unlikely it would have been left that way given the amount of money, care and attention its had.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:55 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways Steve View Post
Its highly unlikely, the bulbs in the cluster dont draw anywhere near enough power to fry the board. If they did then your dial illumination etc would have also fried years ago since there on pretty much all the time in the uk.

Also the board is spotless and as i said it actually doesnt even look lile there was ever a bulb fitted.

The car has only had 3 owners, it has impeccable history and is in excellent condition throughout so had the light indeed come on in the past its unlikely it would have been left that way given the amount of money, care and attention its had.
They all came with CEL's so I can't imagine you got the one boxster that didn't have one. Odd for sure.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #5

I was thinking that myself but it really does look like it never had one in it.

Its all a bit odd, im going to need to scan over the wiring diagram and see if i can work out where the cel signal originates and take it from there.