986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Performance Spring Options (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/59641-performance-spring-options.html)

Racer Boy 11-25-2015 08:47 AM

Performance Spring Options

I am about to rebuild the suspension on my 2002 base Boxster (145K miles, lots of clunking, banging, and squeaking). I purchased a set of Bilstein HD struts, and since my plan is to do some track days with the car, I've been thinking that since I'll have the suspension apart, I may as well replace the springs with something a bit sportier.

Although the Boxster handles well, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by it's softness, and benign response when pushing it a bit in quick driving. But I like that the car isn't harsh and doesn't beat you up over rough pavement; yes, I'm looking for that perfect compromise in suspension tuning! Hmm, I must be getting old! Or maybe I've just spent enough time on the track that I want a mellower experience on the street. :cool:

The ROW M030 springs and sway bars sound like the way to go, but I'm not too excited about paying $1600 for the kit, as the struts I already have are equivalent as far as the M030 struts. Since the car will primarily be used for street duty, I'm not interested in super stiff or really low springs, so that is why the ROW M030 kit sounds perfect for me. I've been searching, but can't find any used springs/sways for sale, which leaves me with aftermarket options (which appear to be few).

It appears that H & R and Vogtland are the commonly available options. They both claim to lower the car just over an inch, which is not what I really want (I've lived with lowered cars on the street before, and don't want to go through having to be extremely careful over the smallest bumps, avoid driveways that slope, etc.), but since I'm kind of stuck with those kits, I can probably live with an inch lower.

My question to all of you is if any of you have experience with these springs, and especially if paired with the HD Bilsteins. Are they pretty livable on the street? Do you have to be really careful about the car scraping or bottoming over bumps?

Van914 11-26-2015 03:29 AM

I have H&R springs with HD Bilstiens. Not to harsh on street great on the track.
I also changed the swaybars to Tarrett.
I like the way it handles and looks
Van914

jakeru 11-26-2015 09:33 AM

One option if you are having trouble finding used M030 springs is you can buy new US-spec M030 springs from the Porsche dealer for (IIRC), a bit over $200 per pair. The US-spec M030 springs will maintain ride height while stiffening the ride somewhat.

I've got some (US-spec M030 springs) installed in my 2001 boxster base and am very happy with the ride. It feels "sporty" without being punishing. And I have yet to bottom out the suspension as used to frequently happen with the old, soft springs and worn out bump stops. My upgrade path if additional roll stiffness is required is eventually I could add on some stiffer sway bars (there are a few available options), but so far I have not felt the need with the current street tires I'm running (Michelin all-season high tread wear rated tires). I did replace the shocks (using Koni sports, which are externally-adjustable at the front end). I found the original shocks were worn at ~110k miles.

When you do the suspension work, be sure to freshen up the other suspension parts that are bad or known to go bad, like the bump stops. (Those are actually a critical part of the suspension system that work in parallel with the spring when the suspension compresses.) Also, be sure that rubber components are not cracked and all spherical suspension joints are in good shape.

PS - almost forgot to mention, it's too bad you already bought Bilsteins as it sounds like Koni's new FSD shocks (now available for 986) are marketed to offer just the characteristics you're looking for. I installed FSD's on a VW Golf and they do seem to work as advertised on that car.

steved0x 11-26-2015 02:19 PM

I have the US M030 suspension and like it pretty well for track work. Somebody on here had a set of Eibach pro lowering springs on here for sale for $250 a while back.

Racer Boy 11-28-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeru (Post 474740)
One option if you are having trouble finding used M030 springs is you can buy new US-spec M030 springs from the Porsche dealer for (IIRC), a bit over $200 per pair. The US-spec M030 springs will maintain ride height while stiffening the ride somewhat.

I've got some (US-spec M030 springs) installed in my 2001 boxster base and am very happy with the ride. It feels "sporty" without being punishing. And I have yet to bottom out the suspension as used to frequently happen with the old, soft springs and worn out bump stops. My upgrade path if additional roll stiffness is required is eventually I could add on some stiffer sway bars (there are a few available options), but so far I have not felt the need with the current street tires I'm running (Michelin all-season high tread wear rated tires). I did replace the shocks (using Koni sports, which are externally-adjustable at the front end). I found the original shocks were worn at ~110k miles.

When you do the suspension work, be sure to freshen up the other suspension parts that are bad or known to go bad, like the bump stops. (Those are actually a critical part of the suspension system that work in parallel with the spring when the suspension compresses.) Also, be sure that rubber components are not cracked and all spherical suspension joints are in good shape.

PS - almost forgot to mention, it's too bad you already bought Bilsteins as it sounds like Koni's new FSD shocks (now available for 986) are marketed to offer just the characteristics you're looking for. I installed FSD's on a VW Golf and they do seem to work as advertised on that car.

I'm going to replace virtually every replaceable part on the suspension; tie-rod ends, drop-links, control arms, track arms, struts, bump stops, shock mounts, and many of the fasteners.

ECS Tuning has the ROW M030 front springs, and US-Spec M030 rear springs, but the cost would be about $500. I can get a new set of Vogtland springs for less than half of that. It's too bad I'm cheap, it would make my decisions a lot easier! :rolleyes: Because of that, I bought the Bilsteins over the Koni FSD's, as they were over $1000 less expensive.

Here's another question - would the ROW M030 front springs be a good match with the US Spec M030 Tiptronic rear springs? I'm guessing that the Tip springs are a slightly stiffer rate than the non-Tip springs

jakeru 11-29-2015 09:28 PM

I can totally understand operating within a budget. I'll bet all those parts you listed can add up really fast!

I'd expect you'd see a higher than stock ride height if you put tiptronic rear springs on a boxster that had a manual transmission. If this setup were coupled with ROW M030 front springs (which lowers the front substantially more than any US spec boxster suspension), I'll bet you'd see substantially more "rake" than any factory 986 Boxster came with.

Best of luck with the parts sourcing!

Racer Boy 12-01-2015 06:58 AM

I did find a vendor that sells both front and rear ROW M030 springs:dance:, but the cost is over $500! :eek: It kind of kills me to spend that kind of coin on springs, but it does sound as if those springs are the way to go. The spring rate and ride height are what I want, so it's just a matter of biting the bullet and getting used to the Porsche ownership experience. :p