Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
rsf

Garage
P0103 but not P0102, and interesting finding while troubleshooting

Hi everyone,

Over the last couple days I've been reviewing a number of forums and am having a tough time finding a lot of information on P0103 code. There is a lot out there about P0102 mentioning to replace the MAF, however a lot of the information on the P0103 mentioned to reseat the connector, run the car without the MAF connected, etc.

In doing the above, people mention that when the MAF is disconnected their Boxster runs really rough or not at all. When I disconnected the MAF and ran my Boxster, there was no difference in how it was running. Is this normal?

My question is, if my Boxster runs the same with our without the MAF connected is the problem the MAF, or something else?

Thanks in advance...

rsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Ben-Auto-Design

If your boxster runs the same without MAF it's dead (the MAF).
The ECU rely on the MAF usually because it's a more reliable way to manage an engine, but it's not the only way it can manage it, that's why you see no change when you disconnect it. It's not relying on it anymore because it is not reading anything from it.

Not like when you get P1128 and P1130 codes, which mean that the MAF, MAP and O2 sensors reading aren't what they should be.
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
rsf

Garage
Thanks...ordering a new MAF now.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsf View Post
Thanks...ordering a new MAF now.
Did you try cleaning the maf and the connector pins?
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
rsf

Garage
I did what I could and they looked pretty clean. Replaced it last night cleared the code, and ran t for a bit. Check engine light has not come back on, but I haven't really taken it out for a good run, plan to do that this weekend.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
rsf

Garage
quick update...replaced the MAF, and everything seems to be working fine now, if not better. The car seems more responsive. Is this possible, or is it because it's just an amazingly fun car to drive and subconsciously I think it's running better? :-)