Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #1

Coolant overflow

2003 Boxster S. The strangest thing happened yesterday. I was driving slow looking at houses 10-15mph for a couple of miles, pulled into a driveway. When I got out of the car I noticed a trail of coolant from the street up the driveway. I looked under the car and noticed a pool of coolant about the size of a large dinner plate. The engine was up to normal temperature around 185 and the ambient air temperature was about 70. After cooling down, the coolant level in the reservoir is slightly above the full mark, as in, you have to look down the filler neck to see the level. The Boxster had its 45K service about 3K ago at which time the local dealer replaced the coolant reservoir tank. I drove another 50 miles after the incident with someone following me to an autocross event and had no more coolant loss with normal temperature readings. I assume the dealer overfilled the coolant tank, but why did it take 3K miles to happen on a cool morning in Orlando?

David C is offline   Reply With Quote