986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Swapping boxster clocks (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/59227-swapping-boxster-clocks.html)

oldbones 10-21-2015 06:17 AM

Swapping boxster clocks

Hi All

Hello everyone. I am a new member and would like your advice please

I would like to change my clock binnacle on my 2.7 986 boxster to a 3.2 s binnacle

I note that the 3.2 s has a max speed of 175mph and my 2.7 has a max speed of 150mph.

If I change would it show the correct speed I am traveling at and what about the digital speed display?

Has anyone done this, are there any other issues

Thanks for any advise on this

jdraupp 10-21-2015 06:39 AM

I've never heard of anyone doing this, nor do I believe it to be possible. There is a project for adding the Carrera Gauge cluster so if you found a whole boxster s cluster I'm sure you could swap that in without issue.

lkchris 10-21-2015 07:58 AM

I believe he's actually writing about changing the whole cluster.

Some folks would call a speedometer a clock and maybe even a tachometer a clock.

In all the articles I've read about installing a 996 cluster, there hasn't been mention of a problem and surely they read to a higher speed than the 150 mph boxster.

It's surely the same digital input from wherever the speed sensor is and the cluster computes what it needs from that. It's not a mechanical cable.

jdraupp 10-21-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 470564)
I believe he's actually writing about changing the whole cluster.

Some folks would call a speedometer a clock and maybe even a tachometer a clock.

In all the articles I've read about installing a 996 cluster, there hasn't been mention of a problem and surely they read to a higher speed than the 150 mph boxster.

It's surely the same digital input from wherever the speed sensor is and the cluster computes what it needs from that. It's not a mechanical cable.

OK I interpreted it as him just wanting to swap the speedometer face. I'm sure you'd need to swap the entire cluster.

oldbones 10-21-2015 11:51 AM

Yes that's right I intend swapping my whole black 2.7boxster cluster for a 3.2s silver cluster and thought I'd check with you guys before I search through eBay

jdraupp 10-21-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbones (Post 470585)
Yes that's right I intend swapping my whole black 2.7boxster cluster for a 3.2s silver cluster and thought I'd check with you guys before I search through eBay

Then that should work. Follow the same guidelines that the 996 swap would use, but you don't have to make room for the oil pressure or battery gauges.

oldbones 10-22-2015 01:49 AM

clocks swop

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 470595)
Then that should work. Follow the same guidelines that the 996 swap would use, but you don't have to make room for the oil pressure or battery gauges.

Great thanks for your advice, the swap looks straight forward and shouldn't take too long

oldbones 10-22-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbones (Post 470629)
Great thanks for your advice, the swap looks straight forward and shouldn't take too long

Just had a thought if I install a replacement binicle (set of clocks) will the displayed mileage be that of the new binicle has recorded or is my current mileage saved on the ecu and so will be transferred to the new binicle.

I don't want the replace the binicle and find a higher mileage is displayed

oldbones 10-27-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbones (Post 470708)
Just had a thought if I install a replacement binicle (set of clocks) will the displayed mileage be that of the new binicle has recorded or is my current mileage saved on the ecu and so will be transferred to the new binicle.

I don't want the replace the binicle and find a higher mileage is displayed

Simply speaking if I buy a second hand set of clocks to replace my existing tempromental set will the mileage remain the same or reflect the mileage on the replacement set

Anyone any idea
Thanks

EJ-Fresno 10-27-2015 02:27 PM

The mileage displayed will be the one on the replacement clock.
You will to reprogram the EPROM to insert your actual mileage.
In addition, if your car is a 2003+, you will have to encode the VIN otherwise your radio will not turn on.