986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Brake pads - same front and rear for DE? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/59189-brake-pads-same-front-rear-de.html)

Ottacat 10-18-2015 05:37 AM

Brake pads - same front and rear for DE?

Next year I'm going to be doing my second year of DE days and am planning on upgrading my brake pads. I did this first year on standard OEM pads. I found that my front pads wore a lot more than my rear pads.

When upgrading pads, is it standard to use the same type on front and back or do some of you put one pad type on the front and another on the back to get those back brakes doing more work?

NewArt 10-18-2015 03:35 PM

Funny you should ask, my friend. I'm doing my fronts this winter and was looking at the Redstuff pads. The rears don't get the workout that the fronts get due to the weight shift under braking. IMO, beefing up the rears will have much less effect on fading under hot conditions (track duty) than concentrating on the fronts. If you plan on doing all 4, I would imagine that matching them up would do no harm.
BTW I've red lots of good things about the Yellostuff pads for the track. Redstuff a little more street freindly and a bit less expensive.

steved0x 10-18-2015 05:17 PM

I'm using redstuff on my 2000 S, put them in October 2014 and have done 9 track days with them, just got back from 2 days at Roebling. I haven't inspected them since I got back, but before I left I had the calipers off to install caliper studs and there was tons left, I didn't measure but maybe just under half. Also maybe 5,000 mikes of street driving, around 8-9 autocross, I am loving them. They don't squeal on the street (every now and then but it is minor). When they run out I will probably get another set.

Edit: I don't recall the fronts wearing faster than the backs but next time I have the wheels off I will measure.

Topless 10-19-2015 05:53 AM

I have run both ways on track days and generally prefer the same pads front and rear. Exceptions are when running 255 square R-comp tires, the extra grip up front really moves brake bias forward so running a pad with more bite on the rear restores some of the braking balance. Tires and brake pads work together as a team so never consider one without the other. The more grip your tires have, the higher temp rating you need in your brake pad. Cup car teams will often use temp paint on their calipers to determine how much heat they have to manage. On street tires, 600F is probably plenty but as grip levels rise, so should your brake pad temp rating.

thstone 10-19-2015 07:54 PM

For your second DE, its probably best to keep the front and rear pads the same to maintain the stock brake bias. Once you get more experienced, then you might want to experiment a bit with different pads front/rear to see what works best for you. Until then, keep it simple and get as much seat time as possible.