986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Steering problem (noise, bumpiness) at slow speed (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/59161-steering-problem-noise-bumpiness-slow-speed.html)

PaulDash 10-15-2015 01:32 AM

Steering problem (noise, bumpiness) at slow speed

Help! This has probably been described here. I've searched but can't find info on this issue.

This started happening a few days ago but was really apparent today. The problem is a little hard to explain. When turning in either direction (but more so to the right), the steering makes noise and I can feel sort of bumps / irregularities from the steering wheel. This isn't the typical noise you get at full lock. It happens with even a half-turn of the wheel.

The :mad: in the thread title is because there's a Porsche Club meet happening on Saturday that I really wanted to attend. Hoping this isn't a major issue.

j.fro 10-15-2015 02:47 AM

I'm thinking strut bearings. A quick but temporary fix is to hit them at the outside seam with white lithium spray grease. If it is the bearings, This will quiet and smooth things out short term. To overhaul or replace the bearings, the struts will need to come out.

PaulDash 10-15-2015 03:12 AM

Ouch. Sounds expensive.

How do I get to the outside seam? Is it inside frunk by battery?

NewArt 10-15-2015 03:28 AM

bTW, do check your power steering fluid level. I know it seems obvious, but low levels could cause a bumpy feel.

PaulDash 10-15-2015 03:48 AM

If it's one of the above and I don't fix this now, will I die driving 300 miles to the Porsche meetup?

kk2002s 10-15-2015 04:08 AM

You need to double check your steering fluid level, because driving while low, especially 300 miles, would not be good for your power steering pump.
It does sound like lower control arm ball joint. I believe what J.fro is referencing getting some spray lubricant into the Rubber boot that protects the Ball joint.
You may find that the boots have tears in them that has allowed dirt and water in. Then it's easy to spay lube into them.
You should make sure there is not play in your suspension that indicates excessive wear.

If it is just ball joint creaking with not excessive play in the steering components, most people do just spray lube in every few months and drive until they replace.
That is what I did for 10,000 miles

PaulDash 10-17-2015 04:33 AM

Okay, so yesterday, I had an appointment at a friend's Audi mechanic. Before going there, I went to a shop to change my tires - it's getting cold and wet around here already - and when I drove out of there, no more clanking when turning.

Loose wheels? :o Totaled front tires? What?