Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

Abs speed sensor output compatibilty

I'm looking to put some 997S uprights and bigger calipers on my 986. I am aware of the mechanical issues.

However I am unsure whether the output from the later style abs sensor is compatible with my abs brain....?...2002 3.2..

jimk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Hey Jim - Patt on boxa has managed to have made up a larger diameter front disc and spacer kit to fit the standard caliper. Not quite what you are planning but may get you some of what you want for a fraction of the price.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #3

the part number on the uprights didn't change when Porsche went from 7.2 to 7.8 and changed the sensors. that tells me that the old sensors will fit in the new uprights.

another option is girodisc - they do a lightweight floating rotor that is larger in diameter and comes with caliper spacers.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

my bad - I re-read your post and you are using 997 uprights. according to PET the sensors are a 997 part as well, so not sure. the 997 uses a 7.8 dme like your car, so the 997 sensors should work with your car.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

Thanks guys.

Ed...I have some as good as new big calipers here that owe me nothing...Sat in the she'd... along with some pfc 97s.....and my standard front calilers on the car at the moment need a major overhaul.....so a few quid on some hubs makes fora cheap big brake swap for me.

Homework to do on the abs sensors.....I've committed on the hubs so I'll find out in good time.

I need to make up some sleeves for the larger diameter hubs compared to the size of the 986 dampers....or to use 987 dampers?...

jimk04 is offline   Reply With Quote