986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   10% Off! M96/M97 Enthusiast Hands- On Engine Rebuild School Dec 9-12 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/59127-10%25-off-m96-m97-enthusiast-hands-engine-rebuild-school-dec-9-12-a.html)

Jake Raby 10-12-2015 07:28 AM

10% Off! M96/M97 Enthusiast Hands- On Engine Rebuild School Dec 9-12

10% off for 986 Forum Members! We will deduct 10% from all final invoices for Rennlist Members who request the discount! (This does not pertain to deposits, and does not pertain to the "101" classes)

Guys, here it is!! We have a few seats left in the enthusiast level M96 102 Engine Rebuild School coming up December 9-12, 2015. This class is instructed by Tony Callas, and I. Charles Navarro of LN Engineering may be in attendance as well, and if so, he will be instructing the cylinder portion of the class.

This is not an uptight, formal environment! All classes are instructed practically, and in a shop environment. We laugh, joke, and LEARN together, in the shop! For this class I plan to have some sort of after class get together on Saturday evening, with a bonfire and some southern hospitality, too.

This is the same material that we instruct in PRO level classes! The difference is we take more time with some aspects of the assembly that enthusiasts will benefit from. We have broken up enthusiast classes from pro classes, because Pros don't like enthusiasts in classes, and enthusiasts don't like pros in classes. The pro feels the simple material is beneath them, and the enthusiast feels left behind because we use pro terms, and etc. Breaking classes down the way that we have eliminates these issues, making for a better experience for all attendees.

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlist...dff12d2a41.jpg

Here is a bit about the "two stage" curriculum of this class:
All attendees will first complete two online "101" class sessions. These are preparatory classes for those attending the Hands- On class, and they are required. This allows us to cover more material in the hands- on class, and spend more time in the shop, than the classroom.

This online only class is the pre-requisite for all individuals who wish to attend the M96/97 (hands-on) Engine Rebuild School. In this class Jake Raby and Tony Callas provide the basic information necessary to understand the shortcomings of Porsche’s most misunderstood engine. The team of Raby and Callas bring their unique experiences to the class, with Callas instructing the external points of the engine, and Raby focusing on the internals. In this class you’ll be able to attend from the comfort of your own home, while you receive 8 hours of instruction on the topics of:

Meet the M96/97- Engine configuration layout and subsystems illustrated
Basic M96/97 Engine Management, fuel trim, system resets and etc
Cooling system design and function
Oil System design and function explained
Cracked Cylinder Heads, causes and effects
All about scheduled service
Engine Failure Illustrated-*The truth about on- track failures
G force oil starvation, and other myths are busted!
Meet the IMS Bearing, and understand its 4 Stages of failure, and how to both avoid, and preventatively address them!

Hands- On (102) Curriculum:
On the first day of the class the group of attendees will disassemble M96/97 engines, and learn the basics of component layout as they go. The remaining three days of the class are dedicated to engine assembly of an updated stock M96/97 engine and labs. The labs during this class are a great value as 3 mock engines are used for both 3 and 5 chain camshaft timing, and wrist pin installation using different forms of factory, and Raby developed special tools.

The class is a fast paced learning experience with a real engine, real instructors and real problem solving. Each morning the class will view presentations about the written methods of that day’s planned assembly, and the in the afternoons everyone heads into the shop to assemble the engine. Though this class is “Rebuild School”, the attendees also learn a lot about disassembly and reassembly to support internal engine repair operations that are valuable for engines that don’t require a “rebuild” but have experienced a mechanical malfunction.
Put simply, when attendees of this class return home to their shops, they possess the confidence and knowledge to assemble an M96/97 engine in its entirety; and many do this. This class, like all Knowledge Gruppe Hands- on classes leaves no one behind, as the instructors will help those with lesser experience understand the processes. This class typically has 3 instructors, so there’s plenty of assistance standing by to help bring attendees up to speed without slowing the class down.

Attendees will receive 36-40+ hours of real instruction on the topics of:

-Special Tool selection & use.
-Machining, balancing, cleaning and preparing components for assembly.
-What parts to replace, and not replace during a rebuild
-Disassembling & reassembling an engine for repair purposes, rather than rebuild.
-Torque specifications and tightening sequences
-Cam timing on 3 and 5 chain engines (each attendee will set cam timing himself)
-Piston installation using special tools and Raby procedures (each attendee will install pistons)
-In depth information concerning cylinder heads, machining and deficiencies of certain models
-Complete engine disassembly and evaluation
-Engine reassembly to complete a “long block” assembly
-How to assemble a “leak free” engine using non- factory sealants and procedures
-Tons of “silver bullets” are given on the tricks of assembling an M96/97 engine

Remember, between the "101" online portion, and the "102" hands- on portion of this class a total of 48 hours of instruction will occur. You will leave our world with the knowledge that you need to build, or internally repair the M96/ M97 engine successfully.

For details about the facility, and some photos, follow this link:
General Info | The Knowledge Gruppe

To sign up for this class, and place your deposit, click here:
M96/97 Engine Classes | Product Categories | The Knowledge Gruppe

Note: All deposits are non- refundable, seats for these classes are limited, so please ensure that you can attend the class before committing. If you leave the seat open, very seldom can it be filled on short notice.

Gilles 10-12-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 469592)
10% off for 986 Forum Members! We will deduct 10% from all final invoices for Rennlist Members who request the discount! (This does not pertain to deposits, and does not pertain to the "101" classes)
[/I]

That's cool, the 10% money saved will be applied towards the cost of the color class book
;)

Jake Raby 10-12-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 469609)
That's cool, the 10% money saved will be applied towards the cost of the color class book
;)

:-)
You will have fun!

jdraupp 10-13-2015 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 469625)
:-)
You will have fun!

Jake, I'd love to go to one of these someday. Can you speak to the level of mechanic one must be to benefit from this class? I think I'd enjoy it, just not sure how qualified I am to attain the level of understanding necessary to really benefit.

itsnotanova 10-13-2015 06:38 AM

Can I pay in Boxster parts? My deposit can be a crankshaft. :)

schnellman 10-13-2015 07:57 AM

I'd love to go, but I'm not allowed in Georgia any more.

Jake Raby 10-13-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 469686)
Jake, I'd love to go to one of these someday. Can you speak to the level of mechanic one must be to benefit from this class? I think I'd enjoy it, just not sure how qualified I am to attain the level of understanding necessary to really benefit.

This IS an Enthusiast class! The reason we separate these classes from the pros, is because of reasons just like your concern.

Most everyone in this class will have never built an engine before, but when they leave, they can. Many have done that.

I have had professors, surgeons, pilots, and even a poet attend this class. They appreciate it more than pros do.

RandallNeighbour 10-13-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman (Post 469704)
I'd love to go, but I'm not allowed in Georgia any more.

I will bet someone $100 that one day I will utter these words.

thstone 10-13-2015 11:57 AM

Since I am a hobbyist/DIY mechanic and not a professional, I can't see the full investment ($3,000 incl travel) paying off for me (I might try to rebuild one M96 engine in my life).

Can I take the 101 online class without taking with the 102 hands-on class?

steved0x 10-13-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 469730)
Since I am a hobbyist/DIY mechanic and not a professional, I can't see the full investment ($3,000 incl travel) paying off for me (I might try to rebuild one M96 engine in my life).

I would be interested in this as well.

Gilles 10-14-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 469730)

Hello Tom,

Please note that the cost for this class is a great deal of money for me, but my reasoning (or personal excuse) behind my decision goes something like this:

First some background about me:
I also consider myself a hobbyist and DYI, and even that I had some experience assembling a few engines, started many moons ago with old air cooled VW's, Renaults, then Fiat SOHC (X1/9) and lastly the Alfa Romeo V6 aluminum engine, however by no means I consider myself a professional mechanic...

Now my current situation:
My engine has now about 85k and my original plan was to replace it with a used 3.8 Carrera S engine (about $15k for a low mileage engine) the idea seems a good one but none the less I will end with a used engine.

The second option was to rebuilt my engine using the LN 3.8 Nickies and to ask (hire) a local consultant to help myself to assemble my engine (he also attended the M97 class, and I was planning to pay him for his knowledge and time instead of attending the class myself) but unfortunately that person was so busy, that I was not even able to explain my proposal to him.

Therefore, I believe that for around the same amount of money (ok, not exactly..), I can build myself an engine with the LN 3.8 Nickies cylinders and pistons, with forged rods and ARP hardware and end up with a nice rebuilt engine, and the cost of the M987 class will be somehow a safety blanket for me.

Also, another think that motivated me to take the M97 class, was the fact that I would (ok, should.. LOL) feel more secure attacking any future repairs that the engine will eventually need, like replacing the lifters, chains, the variocam actuators, etc., etc.,

Hopefully I am making the right decision, time will tell... however as you can imagine, I am pretty excited with the idea