Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

Trying to reposition radio/ac controls..help!

I've searched the archives and found several threads related but none that specifically answer my question and that is.....I've removed the covers on either side of the center console and that's as far as I can get. I'm trying to replace the cd holder and cup holder with the storage bins and also reposition the radio and ac control. I can't seem to get any farther than removing the side covers! Everything seems to be very tightly attached but I can't find how they're attached....pressure? screws? I can't find any screw heads and I've pulled and tugged as much as seems prudent and no joy! What am I missing?

Thanks

Bob

7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #2

Garage
need special tools to remove the radio

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00072195701&Category_Code=986AUDIO
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #3

Should be something along the lines of:

Start by removing the carpet on both sides of the lower console area. Just reach in the driver and passenger side footwells behind the center console and start to pull from the front of the car towards the seats. There are no screws, the carpet pieces just pull off.

Pull off the vinyl or leather or whatever it is panels on the side of the lower console area. Again, no screws, they just pull off. Be gentle but firm and they'll pop off.

After that, there's a torx screw on either side of the lower console holding it in. Undo those and you should be able to pull the whole lower console shelf area out. It helps to have the shifter out of the way so you can pull out the console.

The cd holder and cup holder should just pop out of the lower console shelf after you've taken it out. You might need to do whatever's in the top position first as I think some pieces interlock. It might take a bit of force to get the pieces out so go slowly and really examine everything so you don't accidentally break a plastic clip or anything.

After you get the radio keys to pull out the radio, you should be able to easily slide it forward to disconnect the antenna, MOST fiber connector (if you have a CDR23 radio), amp plug and the power plug.

The trim around the A/C should just pop off with a little gentle force. Under the trim you'll see I believe 2 phillips screws holding the A/C to its rails and then 2 phillips screws attaching the rails to the dash. Undo the screws holding the A/C to the rails and slide it forward. There should be two plugs on the back of that you'll need to unplug. I routed those A/C cables down and to the right throuh the bottom of the dash area to be able to get them in place in the lower console area for the A/C relocation.

If you need to take off the surrounding dash trim piece (where all the buttons for the PSM/top/door locks/cig lighter are), just pop it off with some gentle but firm prying. Start from one of the lower corners and slowly work around the horseshoe shape. You'll want to slowly detach the trim and then either disconnect each switch from its wire or pop out each switch from its spot on the trim.

Should be about it, hope this helps

Last edited by Sain0rs; 07-16-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I have the tool for the radio, and the code if i need it.

Didn't know the carpet needed to be removed in order to take out the cd holder and the rest of the console.

At the moment the ac control and cd holder are in the bottom section of the console and the cup holders, and radio, are in the top. Planning on deleting the cup holders (which are pretty worthless) and cd holder, and replacing them with the storage bins. I think with the info you gave me I should, hopefully, fingers crossed, be able to get that done.

Question: The carpet on the tunnel isn't glued down? It will go back in place, and stay there after I remove it, without having to reglue? I'd really not want to have to tackle figuring out how to reattach it if I ripped it up and found it was glued in place, unless there's no other option.

Thanks

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #5

In my '03 S the original layout from top to bottom of the dash was:

Thin, slideout cupholder tray
A/C unit
CDR23 radio

Then in the lower console I had:
4 Disc CD Holder
Cubby

I started rearranging in anticipation of a double-din radio so now it's:
Thin, slideout cupholder tray
Hole where the A/C was
Hole where the CDR23 was

Then in the lower console I now have:
Hole where the CD holder was (going to be a cubby probably)
A/C unit

The carpet panels behind the lower console are actual removable panels, it isn't carpet overlayed on top of another panel. So it's not like you're peeling up the carpet and dislodging glue or any other adhesive. The whole carpet panel comes off.

It may not be 100% necessary to take off the carpet but that's how I started and I found it a lot easier to pull off the sides of the lower console by pulling on them from the side closest to the front of the car which was originally covered by the carpet panel.

I can probably take a few pictures for you if you need me to since my dash is actually still all disassembled.
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #6

Your instructions were good and I don't think I need them, but pictures are always a help for these sort of questions. Besides, it gives us a chance to see someone else's handiwork

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 07-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #7

To remove the CD holder, you don't need to remove the console.
Just open the 1st and 4th trays, grab one with each hand, and give it a firm tug, the whole unit pops out & you can replace it with your new tray.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #8

THANKS!! That's the sort of removal procedure I was hoping to hear. It helps if you know the tricks doesn't it? I'll try it tomorrow. I don't suppose you know an equally easy method to remove the stupid cup holders currently residing in the upper slot???

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
2001 base

Garage
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but I am working on exactly the same project.
From top to bottom I have
Cup holders
Radio
Cd holders
Climate controls

I want to ditch the CD holders in the bottom, and put the stock shelf in it's place but the Climate won't slide into that slot.

It seems the only spot for the climate to move is up to the very top where there are holes to screw it in.

As for moving the climate to the top, that leaves CD holders and a shelf at the bottom.
So now I'm stuck with CD holders.

Question: is it possible to replace cup holders and cd holders with shelves? If yes, how?
wannarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace View Post
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but I am working on exactly the same project.
From top to bottom I have
Cup holders
Radio
Cd holders
Climate controls

I want to ditch the CD holders in the bottom, and put the stock shelf in it's place but the Climate won't slide into that slot.

It seems the only spot for the climate to move is up to the very top where there are holes to screw it in.

As for moving the climate to the top, that leaves CD holders and a shelf at the bottom.
So now I'm stuck with CD holders.

Question: is it possible to replace cup holders and cd holders with shelves? If yes, how?
I have a shelf that will replace your cd holder. When I bought mine it had two shelves on the bottom portion. I now have cupholders, shelf, radio then HVAC. You should be able to pull out the cd holders and slide in a new shelf.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #11

Garage
sorry for opening this thread again but I am in the same situation.

I have the following installed in my dash:
Top:
Cup Holders - useless
Radio
Bottom:
CD holder - useless for me
Climate controls

I purchased a storage bin off Ebay that is for the lower center console. What I didn't realize until I went to mount it is that the storage bin I ordered is only for the very bottom space due to its curved sides. This would be fine but my AC controls are in that stop and there is a thin plastic trim piece that surrounds the controls to make the curved sides.

My solution:
I think I will need to more the AC controls up 1 space to where the CD holder. For this I would need to replace the thin plastic surround with one that is rectangle shape. (Is this something that can be purchased?) - **Edit** I found this on the Suncoast website Part# 9965526770001C. My main concern is can the AC controls still be mounted in this location without the holding screws?

Also, I would when mounting the AC Controls there wouldn't be the same screw holes to hold in place in this position. Are these needed? Is there another way to secure this in the center console?

thanks for the help

Last edited by 01BOXYS; 09-23-2015 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Found answer online
01BOXYS is offline   Reply With Quote