Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #1

Garage
Creaking/clanking noise on hard turns

I recently noticed a strange noise when taking a hard corner (faster than I should be). the first time it happened I thought it was gravel in the road and my tire was "skipping" across it. seems to be getting worse, and it happens on left or right turns. sitting in the drivers seat it always sounds to me like it is coming from the passengers side front wheel area. although my buddy was riding with me and he says it should like it is coming from the rear on the left turns and the front on right turns. Also, you can feel a vibration through the floor.
checking the suspension components the only thing loose was the sway bar end links. I replaced all for but that didn't help with the noise. no play in the wheels so I don't think it is wheel bearings.
It sounds almost like an exaggerated strut mount noise, but I am not getting noise when going over bumps or turning the wheels back and forth. (usually you would hear a popping with a bad strut mount).

kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Kinda sounds like a worn front motor mount. Does the noise only happen when you are on the throttle?
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Kinda sounds like a worn front motor mount. Does the noise only happen when you are on the throttle?
no, it is consistent regardless of throttle. speed and inertia seem to be the only factors. also, it is definitely (at least to my ears) coming from the front. to me it alway seems to be coming from the front passengers regardless of turning right or left.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well then that rules the mount out. I'm sure somebody on here can help, I'm stumped.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

Garage
I'm going to crawl under the car tomorrow and check the sway bar bushings. already replaced the end links. I'm thinking it is either the bushings or the strut mounts may be "sort of bad". i.e. not enough to pop when turning the wheel back and forth. but enough to complain when under Porsche cornering.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #6

Try just disconnecting the 2 x sway bar ends where they connect to the drop links & take the car for a drive. The roadholding won't be as precise as with the sway bar attached (be careful) but at least you can rule out the bushes if the noise is still there.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #7

Garage
so the sway bar bushings looked ok both front and rear. driving it, I am beginning to think it is coming from the rear. getting old, hearing not what it use to be.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Well then that rules the mount out. I'm sure somebody on here can help, I'm stumped.
crawled under the car today, removed the underpinning to get a better look at things

Not sure if the motor mount was causing all of the noise, but it is certainly bad:

also noticed that the boot on the right side axle (closest to the tranny) was torn.
could be either causing the noise or a combination of both. either way they both need replacing.

Does anyone know how to tell if the transmission mounts are bad. if they are bad too I would like to replace them while I do the axles.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #9

Hi,

that engine mount is really bad. Also remind that there are rubber parts on each side of the mount that also seems to be gone. So that can have caused the noise whren driving around corners.

I would first replace the engine mount with 987 parts an check if the noise is gone.

Transmission mounts: Porsche Boxster Transmission Mount Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Regards from germany
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
My car made all kinds of strange noises going around turns with a worn mount. Mostly when I was on the throttle. But yes yours is shot, so you will have to change it anyway. Let us know if it solves the problem. I'm guessing it can only help

I think if the trans mounts are leaking oil then they are bad. That is the only way I've heard to tell.

Last edited by tommy583; 09-14-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

that engine mount is really bad. Also remind that there are rubber parts on each side of the mount that also seems to be gone. So that can have caused the noise whren driving around corners.

I would first replace the engine mount with 987 parts an check if the noise is gone.

Transmission mounts: Porsche Boxster Transmission Mount Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Regards from germany
Markus
you are dead on the money. finally got around to taking the mount out. it was missing the rubber insulator pads, they came in today but I haven't had time to pick them up.
when I got the mount out and off the yoke you could see where it was rubbing against the yoke. No doubt this was at lease some of the noise I was hearing.

also, the inner CV joint boot was torn and when I removed the half shaft, the joint was way too loose, so replaced that as well. This weekend I will put on the new mount and insulators and should be good to go.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well i'm glad you are getting it sorted.