986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Creak (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/58655-creak.html)

Giller 09-07-2015 05:04 PM

Creak

Guys! Where to start looking. Front end of my box is very very creaky all of a sudden. Very distinctive even when just getting in and out of the car. Any bouncing of the front end causes lots of creaks. Car has 36,000 kms on it so shouldn't be suspension???

thstone 09-07-2015 08:31 PM

Most likely its the suspension. All of the rubber is almost 5yrs old - definitely old enough for a creak!

Get someone to bounce the car while you lay on the ground with a flashlight and try to find the source(s). Often I reach up and touch suspension components to identify the creaking component by feeling the vibration. Be sure to check all the way up to the upper mounts.

BoxsterSteve 09-08-2015 12:06 AM

Worn sway bar end links or bushings or maybe a top strut mount or two. Too many Toronto streets rival Beirut for pavement quality.

kk2002s 09-08-2015 04:12 AM

I'm back in that club but only on turning.
Mine started a 1 1/2 ago. I did the WD40 thing for a year + and that keep it quite. It was my lower control arm ball joint on the passenger side
Well I replaced my Lower control arms (TRW) inner & outer tie rods, drop links and sway bar bushing 6 months ago, all was good.
Took a hard 1800+ mile drive a month ago and it came back. Same front passenger side. It is not all the time. It goes away when the car sits a few days but comes back after long drives.
I'm not doing the WD40 thing again. While it did keep it quite, I found that ball joint very loose when I replaced compared to the other side. I find it strange that it happens only in the right front

Giller 09-08-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 465144)
Worn sway bar end links or bushings or maybe a top strut mount or two. Too many Toronto streets rival Beirut for pavement quality.

Yeah, forgot about that. 30,000 Toronto KM's equates to about 70,000 normal driving anywhere else. Guess I have to make a trip to the dealership and put that CPO warranty to the test.

Xpit77 09-08-2015 01:34 PM

Me too right front. Both links and the lower control arm on the to do list this month.

RandallNeighbour 09-08-2015 01:49 PM

If you determine it's the lower control arm ball joint creaking (very VERY common) cut a tiny hole in the dust cover with an exacto knife tip and stick a WD40 straw in it and give it a good shot. I have also used lithium grease with a straw spray nozzle with excellent results.

Creak gone, and it will stay gone until that dries up and you can find the hole and fill 'er up again. Typically lasts me 6 months!

Worn drop links usually make a clunking or rattling sound. That creak is probably the ball joint in the lower control arm.