986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   DRLs and headlights, question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/58519-drls-headlights-question.html)

CDNIcecube 08-28-2015 03:38 PM

DRLs and headlights, question

hi all

New here. Purchase a 1999 Boxster, 5-speed. I'm in Canada. I notice that as soon as I start the car the headlights go on, no matter what position is the headlight switch. In fact, I can turn the headlight switch one "click", or two "clicks" to the right and nothing happens, I.e. No change in intensity - the headlights are on as soon as the engine is on. I can pull on the switch and get the fog lights front and rear on when the switch is one to two clicks to the right. I also can activate the high beams, no problem with the lever.

Questions: is this normal ? What could be wrong?

Also, for those with DRLs, which lights are on? Are there any differences in intensity between DRL and the normal headlights?

Thanks for your help!

CDNIcecube 08-28-2015 03:43 PM

Vertical seat control lever.... Does nothing?

I should have mentioned that this is my first Boxster so I can't compare....

particlewave 08-28-2015 04:27 PM

This is normal for Canadian cars. The DRLs are the low beams. ;)

CDNIcecube 08-28-2015 05:21 PM

Thank you particlewave, this is reassuring. I just drove her at night and the headlights /DRL are "full strength". So safety-wise, I am fine.

But it is quite odd that this switch does little more than "allow" the fogs lights and high beams to be activated -I.e. when the switch is at the furthest right position....and the switch is pulled out/her when the steering wheel lever is pushed in. Oh and it allows the dash lights to be dimmed. Odd they would do so...but ok.

lkchris 08-29-2015 09:39 AM

Check to see if your taillights are on in the "off" position.

jaykay 08-29-2015 12:23 PM

It's normal operation. The switch will only give you dash lights, fogs and parking side selection. Dimming is accomplished up beside the tack with the thumb knob

CDNIcecube 08-29-2015 04:24 PM

So the headlights are turned on at full intensity as soon as the engine fires? Same for the rear lights and "position lights"? TIA.

jaykay 08-29-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDNIcecube (Post 463896)
So the headlights are turned on at full intensity as soon as the engine fires? Same for the rear lights and "position lights"? TIA.

....yes no change. I am always in the cockpit when I try to observe this so I would have to have an observer to give you a verified answer of yes...I often don't bother with the last detent at night

I will check it out again when I am next in the car. It makes sense design-wise as full intensity better is for better vis during the day

clickman 08-29-2015 05:03 PM

I originally thought the DRLs were lower intensity than the regular low beams, and thought when I was installing my Fred lights that I'd have to find some other way of getting DRL. Then I checked the DRL voltage and found it was full. No mods required!

Now the only problem is that if my xenons burn out early, I'll have to send my new ones to Particlewave for the required modification... :)

Duezzer 08-30-2015 08:23 PM

I am also from the Great White North and my 99 that was originally from the center of Canada (Tarranto) does not have DRLs - No light till I turn the switch.

Hmmm.

CDNIcecube 08-31-2015 06:00 PM

Duezzer, this is odd. Perhaps headlight switch issue? Good luck

Giller 09-01-2015 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duezzer (Post 464042)
I am also from the Great White North and my 99 that was originally from the center of Canada (Tarranto) does not have DRLs - No light till I turn the switch.

Hmmm.

Considering it's been the law since the early 90's - someone has maybe manually disabled the switch, or it's an American car originally that didn't get switched over.

My American car had the DRL hack done and it looked good. Only the fogs came on when the car started, instead of the whole lamp.

Xpit77 09-01-2015 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 463761)
This is normal for Canadian cars. The DRLs are the low beams. ;)

My 99 is an American car now residing in Canada. My DRL`s are the fogs.

Duezzer 09-01-2015 11:33 AM

Car is off getting a new top and some PDR work done. When it is back I will delve into this a bit more. I never remember them coming on and the car passed an out of provice inspection only 2 yrs ago.

Is there 2 switches on the hand break? One to allow the top tp open and one to shut off the DRL while break in engaged? Anyone know - I replace the break handle a few months ago - just testing to see if I missed a connection.