Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Smile Any advice, poorly running Boxster

Hi All! New to the forum and I am already here begging for advice. Sorry...

I have a 2001 2.7L Boxster. (51,000 miles) I had to access the engine compartment a few weeks ago and read somewhere that the air filter was in here and should be change. ( Haven't had the car very long) I access the filter and the foam material was disintegrated and laying in the bottom of the air box. It was all vacuumed out and the new filter installed. Then the check engine light came on and the car started running very poorly. Low end hesitation.... no torque. My mechanic friend scoped the car and the O2 sensors on both sides were showing codes. He felt it must be something else causing the faults since it was both sides. The codes were cleared and the intake was dismantled. A few more pieces of foam were located and removed. Also, the upper oil filler tube was replaced. The car is still running poorly and the trim values are very high, running rich. The mechanic does have a lot of Porsche experience and his wife is having a baby today so he is going to be away for a while. I only have a few weeks of Summer left. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Are the O2's bad? I don't know if it was pre or post. MAF? Fuel Filter? I have also developed a parasitic drain.... any chance these issues are related? Thank you in advance for any assistance ya'll can provide.

e.roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Sounds MAF related to me. Try cleaning it. You could also unplug it to see if it runs better. Be aware that when you unplug it the car will throw a CEL because it is unplugged. I'm not sure if the CEL will clear itself when you plug it back in or if you will have to clear it with a OBD II reader.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:51 AM   #3

Ok, I will try that tonight. Is it possible that some of the foam screwed up the MAF? Thank you.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It's very possible, the wire on the MAF is fragile. Just too much oil from a k&n filter has been said to ruin them. If you try to clean it get the MAF cleaner spray. Don't touch any of the parts that go into the intake. Just spray it real good and let it air dry.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #5

Will do. Thank you.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Sounds MAF related to me. Try cleaning it. You could also unplug it to see if it runs better. Be aware that when you unplug it the car will throw a CEL because it is unplugged. I'm not sure if the CEL will clear itself when you plug it back in or if you will have to clear it with a OBD II reader.
Unplugged the MAF and it ran 100% better. Removed and cleaned the sensor(twice) and it is much better. Still feels like it is a bit doggy but at least it will get down the road now.

Thank you very much for your help.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I'm glad I could help. Cleaning it doesn't always work. New ones are pricey. If you do get a new one, take out the old one and write down the model number. There are a few different models and you need the correct one for your car. I would stick with a Bosch brand one.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body, also.
Just don't forget to re-calibrate the throttle before starting.

To calibrate: Turn turn the ignition switch to the on position (not run) for one minute to allow it to calibrate. Turn the ignition back off for 10 seconds and you're ready to go.

Last edited by particlewave; 08-15-2015 at 11:15 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I'm glad I could help. Cleaning it doesn't always work. New ones are pricey. If you do get a new one, take out the old one and write down the model number. There are a few different models and you need the correct one for your car. I would stick with a Bosch brand one.

Yea, mine was an older number but the Pelican website helped me sort it out. Finally got the engine covers back from my mechanic today. Road test tonight.!!!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
It wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body, also.
Just don't forget to re-calibrate the throttle before starting.

To calibrate: Turn turn the ignition switch to the on position (not run) for one minute to allow it to calibrate. Turn the ignition back off for 10 seconds and you're ready to go.
Ok, I have started and run the car since messing with the MAF and did not do this calibration. Should I still do it or is it too late?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If you didn't disassemble the throttle body, it's not necessary.

Tags
boxster , hesitation , o2sensor