Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 09:11 AM   #1

transmission maintenance

Any thoughts on maintenance intervals for transmissions?
Mine is low mileage (17,000 on a 2001 5-speed). The 30,000 mile work is a long way off.
Any benefit in changing transmission fluid/filters etc. based on AGE as opposed to MILEAGE? Open for comments -
If this has been covered before, let me know.

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Any thoughts on maintenance intervals for transmissions?
Mine is low mileage (17,000 on a 2001 5-speed). The 30,000 mile work is a long way off.
Any benefit in changing transmission fluid/filters etc. based on AGE as opposed to MILEAGE? Open for comments -
If this has been covered before, let me know.
Hi,

The Service Interval is 90k mi., but for a low mileage Car, I would change it every 5-6 years. It is a sealed system, so it is not suceptible to the type of Dirt and Moisture your Motor Oil is. Were it not for the fact that it is essentially a Transaxle (meaning it shares it's lubricant with the Crown and Pinion in the differential - unlike the Tip S models) I'd probably go longer. Remember to use Hypoid Gear Lube because of this too. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #3

Again, it goes back to your long term intention with the car. If this is a keep forever car, I would change the manual transaxle fluid at 60K and use the finest synthetic recommended for your car.

With a tip, I would use a 50k change interval.

If not keeping the car, hmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #4

There may be another reason for changing the fluid. I was having a slow 2nd gear syncro issue, especially when cold. I figured I'd change the fluid with some highly regarded synthetic and see what would happen.

Well, I'm glad I did because the Trans feels better than new. I really think they should consider better fluid from the factory.

BTW, it's a 2003 S with 12,000 miles. I used Specialty Formulations MTL-R - Synthetic Manual Transmission Lube and can highly recommend it.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote