Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #1

Tiptronic Problem

Hi all,

My1997 Boxster has a gearbox fault which activates the safe mode ( D-4 flash)

I had the fault cleared and the error message was 'upshift/downshift switch'.

The error was cleared and drove perfectly in auto and also in manual. Both left and right switches on the steering wheel activated all gears no problem for a hour or so. I switched the car off and the error was back.

Today I had the car into Porsche to find a radio code and they said the error in the box read ' Gearbox Multifunction switch'

Are these two different issues or read /worded slightly different by two different diagnostics ?

I've taken the switches out of the steering wheel to inspect and cleaned them with electrical contact spray.

I'm assuming there's another switch eleswhere that has failed. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Thank you
Jon

Betsyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #2

Garage
Based on the wording I'm going to say it is the switch that is on the actual gear box and, according to Bentley's, is also known as the multi function switch (Pg. 37-16). It is located on the left side of the transmission housing.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Based on the wording I'm going to say it is the switch that is on the actual gear box and, according to Bentley's, is also known as the multi function switch (Pg. 37-16). It is located on the left side of the transmission housing.
Thanks. Have you got a link to this page by any chance ?
Betsyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyboo View Post
Thanks. Have you got a link to this page by any chance ?
Bentley's is a hard copy manual, don't know if it is on the internet. You can pick up used one's on the market, try eBay or Craig's and make sure you get one that covers your model year.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #5

I had the can`t remove the key / flashing R problem. When I was trying to diagnose the problem I was told there is a switch at the shifter that may be dirty. You have to remove the knob and plate to access. I didn`t need to as my problem wasn`t that. I couldn`t find it in the Bentley or on-line.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote