986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   97 oil sperator (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5825-97-oil-sperator.html)

911sc 04-23-2006 06:58 AM

97 oil sperator

can someone p/s post pic and how to replace 97 boxter oil sperator ans also part's no ?be appericiate if someone can help .thank's

deliriousga 04-23-2006 08:10 AM

Go here http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4794&hl=

There are pictures at the bottom of the thread, but no part numbers. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to do it from the top of the engine.

911sc 04-23-2006 03:20 PM

thank's for the quick reply ,i have notice the seperator top black tube has oil inside the tube ,is that normal?what is the next step on how to remove the oil seperator ,can't seem to locade the oil seperator and how it suppost to looked like .help needed,thank's

911sc 04-23-2006 05:27 PM

oil seperator has been removed,is there any thing i should watch for ?it has oil in the seperator is that normal?how can i tell if the seperator is in a cood condition or not?help be appericiate

deliriousga 04-23-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911sc
thank's for the quick reply ,i have notice the seperator top black tube has oil inside the tube ,is that normal?what is the next step on how to remove the oil seperator ,can't seem to locade the oil seperator and how it suppost to looked like .help needed,thank's

The oil in the tube is a sign the diaphram is broken so the separator needs to be replaced.

911sc 04-23-2006 06:08 PM

thank's ,i have nortice the seperator and the top and the bottom tube has a bit of oil inside,do i need to replace the tube aswell?thx

deliriousga 04-23-2006 06:19 PM

To replace the separator, you need to remove the hose(s) from the top, then the two mounting bolts down the side (I think they have 10mm heads). On the bottom of the separator, there is a squeeze clamp. Use some pliers to squeeze and remove the clamp. Don't reuse the spring clamp.

When you put the new separator on, put the bottom on first and use a new stainless steel screw down clamp. There is a TSB that suggests replacing the squeeze clamps with screw down types as you do maintenance and remove the old clamps. They can weeken after being removed and cause leaks. Tighten the clamp down so it stays attached, but leave it loose enough so it can rotate. Put the two mounting bolts in and finger tighten them to hold it in place. Connect the hose(s) to the separator, then tighten the mounting bolts and clamp on the bottom of the separator.

If you have the time, you should replace the "J" hose that goes in the top of the separator. There is a TSB recommending it since the accordian folds can eventually crack and cause vacuum leaks. I bought the hose, but did not get to replace it yet, so I can't give you any info on that. Mine had oil in it too, but it runs well and no codes, but I will replace it when I get the chance.

Good luck! :cheers:

911sc 04-23-2006 09:01 PM

thank's for the valuable info ,that is just excatly what i did when i removed this evening ,take me 1/2 HRS,now i not sure is the seperator is worn in side the diaphram ,but it has oil all over inside and the tube aswell.are they suppost to be dry inside the seperator? if it's BINGO mine is just wet,being mine was a 97 model ,may be is time up for a new replacement,I will let u know how's it goes ,try to get part's ,where is the best place to get them ,I in canada

ralegen 04-24-2006 05:04 PM

sunset porsche has great prices, but I do not know about their shipping cost to Canada. If you have oil in the J tube and the superior portion of the separator, you should check your throttle. Mine was puddled with oil; caused major idle problems, exhaust smoke, and it sucked. Here go to this link. i posted some pics. Oh and as far as replacing the J tube; I honestly don't see why this needs to be done. If you were to clean it really well, then you should be fine; however, I went ahead and replaced it.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5684-98-porsche-boxster-blue-smoke-start.html?highlight=separator

BTW: I didn't change the spring clamp with a screw clamp. I was very careful and I confirmed a good seal. If I could go back however, I would have used a screw clamp.

911sc 04-25-2006 05:18 AM

ralegan thank's for the reply,i have order one from sunset porsche,carrently they run out of stock ,it willl take three day's and two week to get it to canada ,$75.00 plus $12.00 UPS shipping ,that not bad at all.i have talked to one of the machanic at porsche ,he told me the seperator is not suppost to have oil inside the J tube and seperator,it only have some oil residue that's all not more ,if so most likely is the seperator need to replace ,i will give u guy an update when i replace it ,thank's

911sc 05-03-2006 09:24 PM

would likt to give an update on the oil seperator ,got the part's in from porsche dearler ,it take me 25 minutes put them in ,kind of enjoy doing it .

911sc 05-10-2006 06:38 PM

I have change the oil seperator for a 97 boxster ,don't seem to any different at all other than still white and blue smoke !!! but a little less than before ,should i worry free for this matter ?or just enjoy driving it ?any suggestion will help alot.thank'

911sc 06-14-2008 06:25 AM

after replace the oil seperator for over a year ,the blue smoke still pop out once in a while radom, I am using 5-40 for the engine oil is that too thin for the older boxster ?should i use 20-50 for the engine oil?