Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #1

Performance Gears?

hey hows it going i was wondering if theres anyone out there that heard of puting Performance Gears in a Boxster it sounds kinda silly but i saw a few BMW's and Mercedes with gears and really helped out there 0 to 60 times so if any ones heard of this Post a Reply
Thanks

986silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:18 AM   #2

Its fairly common on those cars as they are geard 3-5 for really long top end and 1-2 for acceleration, so typically they change a few gears to add to top end or accelerations..

I find our gear ratios quite balanced, so not sure what type of change your looking for. If you jsut want more top end a ring and pinion might be a better idea for you. Not sure of porsche or somebody else makes them for our cars or not.

I changed my GTI from a 3.94 gear to a 3.39 so I lost top end but bottom end acceleration was amazing. It would only do 125mph top though (from 155) but getting there was damn fast. In the end I decided I prefered the stock gear and I was shifting too much at the track and found it distracting and annoying plus I was losing time switching to 4th all the time when 3rd before was good enough.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #3

Yeah i understand what your saying about out Gear RAtio being Pretty Balanced and all but im looking for a quicker 0 to 60 time and i dont realy drive That fast on the freeway so im not lookin to drive over 130 so whats some good gears to drop in my boxster and how much am i lookin at to spend?

thanks for your Reply's!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #4

Check around for a ring and pinion then. That will just reduce your overall gear ratio like a new "rear end" for a chevy would when they buy a lower gear. Where to get it I have no idea however.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Check around for a ring and pinion then. That will just reduce your overall gear ratio like a new "rear end" for a chevy would when they buy a lower gear. Where to get it I have no idea however.

thanks for your info

i havnt called any place but im just checking around Online for that Ring and Pinoin and had no sucsess but havnt looked very long so ill check around some more.....
So do you think that ring and Pinion would Help out my 0 to 60 and another question is if they dont make a ring and pinion for my car what else can kinda of gears can i put and thanks for you help......
Old 04-22-2006, 05:17 AM   #6

Yeah the ring and pinion will help your 0-60 huge. It basically is an overall gear reduction because its your final drive.

http://www.bildon.com/catalog/DetailsList.cfm?ID=02A.409.394&Nav=5

This is what I had on my VW. You may also want to take into account how much it will cost to install. It's pretty heavy duty. The Ring goes around your diff so the diff must be pulled and the pinion shaft is the counter shaft that the ring gear rides on. So all your gears must be pulled from the stock shaft to the pinon shaft.

Labor is going to be quite high on this, I would expect to pay say 20 hrs at 100 bux an hour plus the part.

I found a few threads about GT3 guys using the RS R&P which is 7.35. Problem is how applicable is this to our car. Unfortunately I'm not interested in lowing my overall gear so I'm not going to search too hard. Here is some stuff I came across however..
http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=61117&page=

Last edited by 986Jim; 04-24-2006 at 05:11 AM.