986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Another Top Clamshell problem (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/58095-another-top-clamshell-problem.html)

boxster6354 07-29-2015 09:04 AM

Another Top Clamshell problem

Hey Guys/Gals

Searched and did not really see an answer to my issue.

Going out to put top down, windows dropped and clam shell started to open about three inches and then motor made a little grrrr sound and that was it, when I press the button I can hear the motor grrr a bit but either way it will only move maybe an inch either way.

Does appear to be (Clam Shell) about 1 inch higher on drivers side than passenger side.

How would I go about manually closing the clam shell with only a couple of inches clearance?

Thanks

EJ-Fresno 07-29-2015 01:23 PM

Check the plastic gears within the transmissions, they might be broken.

WillH 07-29-2015 01:58 PM

Or motor to transmission cable broken. Mine broke Sunday...

You will have to put the top in manual mode to get to the bottom of what happened.

boxster6354 07-29-2015 04:53 PM

Thanks guys for replying.

Now how would I go about placing it in manual mode? :D

EJ-Fresno 07-29-2015 08:25 PM

You have to pop out the shocks on both sides (you have the procedure in the user's manual).

gtoger 07-29-2015 08:30 PM

This precise thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. I wound up replacing 2 push-rods and 2 transmissions. Upgraded to the newer style that is not as plastic.

boxster6354 08-05-2015 07:24 AM

Thought I would post an update:

Had time to play with the top/clam shell and as suggested by EJ-Fresno I checked the gears on the passenger side top transmission, which indeed have a few cracked gears.

All other components checked out fine, I was able to disconnect the transmission cable to motor on one side and by touching the top button to raise the top a little at a time and was able to get top clam shell aligned enough to lower after hooking back up the cable.

Now I was in need of a new passenger side top transmission, thought about buying a used one here on the board, but really I would just have the same issue later if I replaced and old one with another.

Went on Pelicanparts and each are selling for $704.00 :eek:

Did a little more searching and found an eBay seller that makes the gears out of metal so you just end up replacing the broke plastic gear inside with a new metal one.

Cost for both passenger and drivers side gears with USA shipping: $199.00

If anyone is interested here is the URL: 2 New Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Transmission Gear Gears L and R Side | eBay

Once I install I will post a follow up.

:cheers:

EJ-Fresno 08-05-2015 07:37 AM

I bought exactly the same metal gear, installed them 4 months ago, nothing to declare so far :)

boxster6354 08-05-2015 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 459990)
I bought exactly the same metal gear, installed them 4 months ago, nothing to declare so far :)

Thanks for the information, makes me feel better now :)