986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Wiring help (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/58064-wiring-help.html)

sickbananas 07-26-2015 11:23 AM

Wiring help

I'm looking for any wire behind the dash that needs to be live permanently (ignition off) to wire into a blank switch in my centre console for something that I am doing. My cigarette socket is not permanently live, I think this is because I am in South Africa and it is country specific.

Secondly I'm looking for another wire that is ignition switched, is there any wire that leads to a spare fuse in the loop behind the dash? I can use the cigarette socket line, but I just don't want to over load this circuit as I already have one or two things running off of it.

Thanks in advance!

JayG 07-26-2015 01:06 PM

There is a connector in front of the gear shift under the console that has switched and unswitched 12v
do a search for telephone connector and you should find info on it

TypeA 07-26-2015 01:09 PM

Test lights are $5 at auto parts stores. It pays to always verify power before you go tapping into something.

CHRISP357 07-26-2015 01:44 PM

It also pays to PM Particlewave before touching anything electronic!

JayG 07-26-2015 02:35 PM

one more thing, those blank "switches" in the center console and around the radio are not switches, but blank plates

sickbananas 07-26-2015 09:57 PM

Thanks guys, I have a multimeter so will check before I Tee into any wire and make sure I'm happy. Just used the term blank switch to get my post going, I have already got a oem switch that I will swop out into one of the blanks spots.

Pdwight 07-27-2015 09:21 PM

Connector in front of shifter

Is for the cell phone option, you should have switched and unswitched +12V there. Remember it is not how much voltage you use it how much current. WHat are you planning on powering there ?

epapp 07-28-2015 08:35 AM

Hijack: does anyone know the fuse/current rating on the phone connector off the top of their head? Do the switched and always hot 12v of the phone connector go through the same fuse?

Qmulus 07-28-2015 04:24 PM

They do not got through the same fuse, they are separate from everything else and I believe they are 7.5 Amp fuses. Ignition (term. 15) is green/black, and constant (term. 30) is red/green. At least that is what I remember off the top of my head from pulling apart a bunch of Spec Boxster harnesses. I would have to look up what fuse numbers they are.

These are great to use for all sorts of accessories.

PorscheFan5 03-27-2016 04:59 PM

Qmulus,

Need your help with my 12v Power Steering install. Based on a post I saw here I tried D4 on fuse box in the Driver side footwell, however that is 12v Batt and remains On all the time. Unfortunately I wired everything from a junction stud I installed just behind the CD cubby. Now I don't have 12v Sw so need to find that. Ideally if I can find it in that vicinity, I can easily route it to my junction stud.

Could you help? Thanks!

lkchris 03-27-2016 05:23 PM

German cars follow the Bosch wiring standard and in all of them a solid red wire is always hot.

And a solid brown wire is a ground.

Solid means no stripe.

PorscheFan5 03-27-2016 05:26 PM

I think I found 12v Sw right where I need it!

In the center console area there is a unused 4 pin connector, that I think is for the phone option. This connector has both 12vBatt and 12vSw. The RD/GRN wire is 12vBatt (continuous) and GRN/BLK is 12vSw (Switched). Checked it with the DVM, and confirmed.

Now I can just wire from right there...http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1459128283.jpg